Semi aquatic or semi terrestrial???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ze_Ubermuffin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently got a firebellied toad and I am going to upsize its tank. Should I make a terrarium with a large "pond"? Or an aquarium with a land portion?

A terrarium with a pond would be easier because i have lots of terrarium dirt but not much aquarium gravel

I would think a terrarium with a pond. When I think of these toads I imagine humid rain forests with little puddles here and there. However this may be incorrect.

I have three fire belly toads. I have an aquarium with a floating island and other decorations for them to climb on. I have feeder guppies in the water and they do a good job of eating the poop from the toads. I originally bought the guppies for the toads to eat but they wont touch them :)

Ive gone with the semi aquatic terrarium with the pond and it looks great and the toad loves it!

Attachments

• image-827321389.jpg
    image-827321389.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 305
Fire-bellied toads love marshy ground... So like.. Not quite solid land, and not quite water... I find they really enjoy wet moss shreds. Sphagnum moss is easy to find. Your current setup is very nice and I think it will work wonderfully. :)

I went half and half on mine, and my toads spend more time in the shallows of the water. I also have plenty of wood and rocks stocking out of water they love floating near. Sry about ur toads.

firebellies are a norther asia species that lives in marshy areas. They like moderate to cool temps (50-70 degrees) with lots of water but good options to get out onto land. Your setup looks pretty good for them

Does anyone know whats the difference between organic top soil and organic potting soil. As i was told to use organic potting soil for my PVC habitat. But my LHWS only has the organic top soil. Does anyone know what else i can use if i cant find the OPS. Please help.

Back
Top Bottom