Should African dwarf frogs be kept in groups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an ADF in my 20 long community tank and I was wondering whether or not I should get another frog or two so the one I have won’t be lonely, or is it better for them to be solitary? He’s very active as it is, but would it be better for him to have another frog around to interact with?

I have an ADF in my 20 long community tank and I was wondering whether or not I should get another frog or two so the one I have won’t be lonely, or is it better for them to be solitary? He’s very active as it is, but would it be better for him to have another frog around to interact with?

people will always say yes. Ive always kept pairs as I do feel they prefer knowing there are other frogs in there but at least 50% of the time theyre apart. Its nice if you get a couple and get to finally hear their chirping. Theyre small enough to throw a pair in a 5 gallon easy.

I vote yes for a couple more ADFs. They are group animals. I’m also one of those in favor of an ADF only tank in part because fish get to the food before the slower frogs can.

I vote yes for a couple more ADFs. They are group animals. I’m also one of those in favor of an ADF only tank in part because fish get to the food before the slower frogs can.

You kind of have to direct feed the frogs most of the time cause their vision is bad. They go by smell (they actually use their skin to smell I read) and vibrations. Mine (well one because the other was just replaced because of original got out of the tank somehow and died) actually know now when Im faintly clicking the glass with my nails its feeding time. The betta does as well. They arent as stupid as we all think. My bigger frog will jump out of hiding to come get fed and follow me around the tank glass.

Sometimes Ill distract the betta with something and plop the worms on the ground. then just tap the glass where they are until the frogs find them.

All good comments about them.

Additionally, they are supposed to be fat looking not the most commonly seen skinny gaunt looking ones. Males are narrow and females look broader and more arrow head like. I would go for a few male ADF plus one or 2 extra females. They love piling on top of each other. So fun and cute and the males make a buzzing almost electronic sound calling the female.

Back
Top Bottom