Sick Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not Really a Fish... :oops:

Albino African Clawed Frog, Escaped from my tank last Wednesday, drug herself across tile floor to opposite corner of room where found next morning dried out and covered in dirt and dust.

She has done this before, last time she brock her nose. anyways, she shead her outer layer of skin, and is clean now.

problem, she will not eat, and has a large (road burn-like) wound on her stomach.

Does anyone now how to treat it? will fish antibiotic be good for a frog?

Help!

Terramyacin is your best bet. DO NOT use fish meds on amphibians...nor salt.

Keep the frog isolated and rub this stuff on the wound. Don't worry if it doesn't stick well...it's water coluble and will absorb through the skin.

I have a link top the product under a different user name on my IP. I'll brb with it.

TCTFish said:
http://www.entirelypets.com/terramycin35gm.html

Here you go. It's an eye antibiotic ointment and the one antibiotic I know safe for amphibians and veterinarian approved (I've worked for vets and this is what they commonly prescribed or recommended).
thanks, I can't find anyone that sells that around here :?

I remember before I moved here (California) from New Jersey back in 1992, I could only get it through a veterinary prescription. After moving here however, I can find it at just about any pet shop. Your state might restrict wholesale to veterinarians. Online ordering may be your only chance without a visit to the vet.

Oh...To help the frog until you can get some...keep the water very clean. Change it everyday if you have to. You can also let the frog fast for a short period of time to keep waste production at a minimal. The key to keeping risk of infection down is to keep waste to near nothing. The frog will catch up with feeding when it's better. The benefits of cold blooded animals :)

You can also lower the temp during treatment a bit too if possible, slowly (one to two degrees per every few hours) till you reach about five degrees less than original temp. It'll allow the frog to 'rest'. It kind of induces a sub hibernated state, but not so sleepy. Just slowing the metabolic system down a little bit to aid the frog's immune response. It also slows down the spread of infection. Bacteria respond pretty much the same to lower temps as fish, amphibians and reptiles do and though the immune system of the frog is slowed too, the aid of the antibiotic will snag the remaining infection.

Note: Have a low ceiling on the water level so the frog can reach the surface for air easily without having to move about too much. So long as the frog is fully submersed.

Good luck.

TCTFish said:
Oh...To help the frog until you can get some...keep the water very clean.

Good luck.
Update:
Still have not found that meds you talked about, called a couple of vets and they did not have any suggestions :?
they just do mammals one vet said 8O
anyways i have been keeping the water very clean, 90% water change daily.
wound is looking 110% better, not red anymore and looks like it is healing well.

Thanks allot!
she is one ugly critter, kind of like a swimming skinned chicken, but my students love her!

Back
Top Bottom