Tank won't cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please help.
I've had a Red Eared Slider for about 10 years in a 120 gallon aquarium. Late last year my filter died and the tank was without a filter for about a week. I got a Fluval FX6 in early January and set it up in order if coarse pads, medium-fine pad, 1-2 liter of Seachem Matrix, 500ml of Seachem Matrix Carbon, 1 liter Seachem Zeolite, and 2 packets of Purigen. Each media should have enough to treat 200gallons of water.

When I first got the filter set up I managed to cycle it and the water turned very clear, so I took the Zeolite out in February and it slowly got worse again. I put more Zeolite and fresh carbon and purigen back in about a week ago and now the entire tank has crashed and looks like the filter isn't even running. I've been dosing with Seachem Safe and API ammo lock just to keep the ammonia from hurting my turtle or her goldfish. It has only looked good for about a week since getting this filter and I don't know what I'm doing wrong and why I can't get it to cycle again

That sounds very frustrating. Have you cleaned out the impeller area of the filter since you got it?

Have you rinsed the media in the filter with untreated - chlorinated tap water?

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle?

This article is helpful with some tips and basics and info about the nitrification cycle.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

How much water do you change in the tank, and how often?

You should try reptisafe or quick start when I started mine I took some water from my other tanks and some players and corydoras and let them cycle my new tanks then I only do a 25-50% water change throw some plants in too.

Back
Top Bottom