Thinking About an Axolotl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arget

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been thinking about getting an axolotl for a while. I prefer to research as much as I can before I try anything, it's better if I have at least an idea of what to do. I've got experience in freshwater. My main question is substrate. I've read that bare bottom tanks are good for axolotls, and that they have a habit of uprooting plants. Would black diamond blasting sand be safe for them? Or should I just leave the tank bare bottom and paint the underside of it black?

The black diamond sand is soft to the touch when dry, I use it in my planted tanks, so I've smoothed it out by hand.

We have a local Colorado Aquarium Society picnic Saturday. If our member is there who is a longtime Axolotl keeper, I will ask for some info!!!

Thanks! If he is there and the black diamond sand is too coarse, can you ask what the best black sand is for axolotls? I like the look of black sand the best, it brings out the most color in my experience, and it makes fish at least feel safer.

The knowledgeable Axolotl member was out of town. : ( A couple other members mentioned the importance of a couple things. Substrate which is not pebbles size which could get scooped up by accident and cause a blockage. Also consensus was bare bottom was easiest for starting out. Stones, DW, climbing and hiding areas like ledges, arches and areas which would still have flow and not cause a dead zone. One said sand can get eaten accidentally and wouldn't recommend it.

They are injured by ammonia, delicate gill frills, and poor water quality.

Back
Top Bottom