Tips for saving a starving dwarf frog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a little African dwarf frog from my neighbor and the poor thing is nothing but a skeleton! They were feeding only fish flakes and fish pellets, and it apparently wasn't eating those. I've never kept a frog before, let alone a sick one, so I don't know what I'm doing. I have it right now in a spare one gallon fish cube with a bare bottom and a little terracotta pot, because I'm wary of putting in my 20 gallon long with the fish, because I don't want to give my fish any diseases from it if it has any...I no longer have my quarantine tank. :(

How should I feed the frog? I put some frozen bloodworms in the cube, and I don't know if the frog has eaten any yet. I also have frozen baby brine shrimp, would it eat those? It isn't active. It just sits there. The water temperature seems to be sitting at about 68 degrees f. I don't have any small heaters or money to buy one, so I'm not sure what to do about that...They didn't have a heater on their tank where I got the frog from, either. is the low temperature harming it?

I could get a larger container/fishbowl soon, but I can't get another real quarantine tank because space reasons(and money). I have a spare Tom Mini filter I could use, and I could put a few of the biomax pieces from my Aquaclear filter in the Tom if the frog needs a filter.

I use seachem prime water conditioner. Is that okay for it?

I just looked at it again, and the frog was flipped upside down! I went to open the lid of the cube, and it flipped over on its feet again...I think it is going to die soon. :(

The little guy will hopefully me fine. They like to flip over. Mine just eats lever fish food and he is fine. He's a plump little guy too. But if ur guy is a picky one (some will only eat one thing: frozen and luve bloodworms) there is a way to feed him. If he is picky he would eat freeze dried bloodworms, you need to buy life bloodworms and frozen bloodworms, feed it to him with tweezers or a turkey Baster. Also add stress coat to help.

Unfortunately, froggy died last night. I guess he was too weak to make it by the time I got him.

Back
Top Bottom