Turtles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking to start a turtle tank and just want to have a lot of knowledge before doing anything. I don't have plans on buying any certain type of turtle. I have a 55 gallon tank I could use. Any suggestions? Any information I should know? What type of filtration do they need?

My set up has a 50 gallon internal submersible filter that comes with a spray bae or air filtration spray bar was more for a pond I think so air and a over the edge 50 to 75 gallon that's not working at full capacity and a mag float if u want names ask I'll get them Lator oh and a 24 inch light and now my favorite pen plax turtle topper deep dome mini combo lamp fixture with heat and uvb 13 watt uvb 60 watt turtl tuff heat and a nice 5 dollor pen plax thermometer with Velcro I have all my lights on a timer I got for 20 bucks plugged a 3 socket power supply into it and ran it closer to thev tank each light for the lamp fixture has it's own cord btw and I keep on 12 hours off 12 hours it's set for around the sun rises and off when it falls turtle topper is my favorite and has underwater resting dock came nearly fully assembles I think 2 pieces just set together it's easy when u get it worth the 30 bucks for that amazon all of this

I'd suggest a male res or any male aquatic like a male painted or green eared slider they get around 6 inches and will be able to live in the aquarium long term males are bout half size of females and rule of thumb is 10 gallons per inch so I'd like to get a 200 so I can house 1 or 2 more

What type of filtration would I need? What about like an area out of water for them?

Pen plax turtle topper is ur best bet and filtration about double so mine is 55 with about 120 gallons of filtration giving names Lator really only 50 and 35 for two filters new

So all you need is filtration, heater, and something for the turtle to come out of the water?

No more or less that's perfect they get high ratings of uvb exposure 4 stars to 5 stars but yea this topper thing I love it because it's the first that works for turtles of all sizes! All these years irritating suction cup ones

Heat I had a 75 watt turtle tuff bulb works well together with uvb and deep dome mini combo fixture is nice 20 bucks don't get full size my big mistake the 20 dollar one not 40 same thing but 20 looks better and is cheaper I bought both but I got half my money back selling it to get smaller one

I'm looking forward to seeing ur habitat build I run myn on a day night cycle but turtle dosent sleep till it's dark in house also so lights out is more evening then he sleeps lol

But heat u want around 90 degrees my heat bulb went bad very very fast so I'm in the market for a better one at the moment I have a 60 watt that's a normal bulb it's 90 now but it's bright but he'll have to deal till I get cash

You should not get a RES as they get up to 12inch long! which is pretty big:) i have one, but eventually he will go into my little pond (well its like 400 gallons or something). What you should look for are map turtles! i think someone mentioned that before but they really do make better companions, and they are cheap! you can get them for just a couple more dollars then a RES, with that 55 gallon you could house two of them for life!! wouldnt that be cool?:)
you really should do an above the tank basking area as someone said! they are awesome plus they allow so much more swimming room, which is important, sliders and maps are excellent swimmers!
BUT you could also get something like a musk turtle as well, they dont bask very much and kindof dwell on the bottom and search for food, cute little guys:) im getting one at the end of this month!!
Hope this all helps ya out!

Now slider and duck are living together till duck is to big then I'm going to get a diaper and other stuff and walk it

Back
Top Bottom