Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Turtles are running away!

So as strange as this sounds my red eared sliders keep running away! I had 5 about two months ago and now i only have two. My two adult females ran off im assuming to find nesting areas and a juvenile female ran off while i was cleaning the pond. Any idea what i can do to keep the ones i have left in place? They are in a 200 gal pond with a few goldfish parameters are normal with a slight issue with green water. Please help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 06-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure how to explain this, because I've only ever heard about it, but I believe turtles have a sort of homing instinct. For example if you were to grab a wild caught one off the side of the road, they're going to try and find their way back to whatever pond or lake they came from.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hmmm ao theyre just trying to find where they hatched?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 06-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long did you have them for? It's possible they just went off to nest. If they lived most of their life with a previous owner they could also try going there. I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its quite possibly similar to sea turtles; they may be trying to find their nesting grounds. Lots of animals do it. And, as said before, if you haven't had them for too long, they might just ditch you to go back to their old home.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Tags
turtle, turtles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« ACF | New ACF home »