Warning about African Dwarf Frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I owned two African Dwarf Frogs in a community tank a little while ago. They died about a week and a half after I bought them. I had Rosy Barbs, Cory Cats, Panda Garra, and some Tetras. I have read online that you could have them in a community tank, but I was wrong. They could probably live with Bettas and other slow moving fish. They aren't very interesting either as they are slow and not very active until the night time. The only interesting thing about them is when they go up to the top of the tank to breathe. If you put these frogs in a community tank they will starve.

Anything I've ever read about them has always explained that they need either target feeding or hand feeding if they're being kept in a tank with other fish.

I was just coming on here to ask about my ADF. He's been in the tank for a month now, and I agree, he doesn't add much excitement to the tank. But I just checked him, and he seems to be getting thin.
I have a 10 gal tank with 1 feeder goldfish, 1 Shabunkin goldfish, and a swordtail, and of course the frog.
Can someone tell me what to feed him and how to feed him, step by step. I tried putting some granules in a straw, but they just went to the top, then sunk.
Are their any foods that will sink to them?

I have had a couple of the frogs in my 55 gallon tank for over a year.

I've tried feeding them various ways - a specific enclosed location, placing food right in front of them, etc. Nothing has worked.

Once a week I scoop them out of the tank and put them in a small bowl with some frozen blood worms and after half hour or they are full and I place them back in the aquarium. when in the bowl I use my finger to move the thawed works around and the frogs then grab some to eat.

I think you can use a turkey baster to place blood worms next to them while they're in the tank. That's how they're fed at one of my LFS anyway.

And the straw trick would work better if you pre-soaked the granules first so that the don't float back to the surface. Or use shrimp pellets, which should sink right away.

Thanks folks! I'll give it a try.

I'd tried a turkey baster, but do you fill it with water THEN put the worms in? When I did it, an air bubble came out too, and everything headed up with the bubble! :(
I like the idea of a bowl of water, but won't he jump away or otherwise attempt escape? If he did get away, he wouldn't get far! I have 9 cats! They'd dig a frog to play with! As it is, my cats love to watch the tank! It's "Cat TV"!

I have tried the turkey baster and it never worked. I do the pellets now and then but the fish swoop in and grab them while the frogs seem to be thinking about what they are.

I use a high rimmed container/bowl filled with about an inch or two of water. It keeps the frogs submerged and allows the works to float around and then sink.

strange to hear all of these comments but i've never had problem with my frog. he will eat along with other fish in the community tank and i don't have to target-spot feed him either. i simply drop the food in the tank and he will get part of the action. maybe my frog is more competitive

ps. i have him in a 30gal with GBRs, peacock gobies, loaches, and a cory

I had a frog in my 45 community but he died after the first week or so. I have had one in my 130 gallon though for over a year. I don't feed him anything special... He's doing fine though.

I've had 2 adf's in a community tank since January, and I've never specifically fed them. They were originally in a 10 gallon, and after a month were moved to my 55 gallon community tank and both look fat and happy.

Aquatic frogs have poor eyesight, it takes them a little longer to get around to realizing there's food unless it's quite "smelly"! I have Dwarfs and Clawed frogs, and when I hand feed the clawed frogs, I have to practically shove the earthworms up their noses before they figure out that it's there.

I prefer to keep my frogs away from the fish, I purchased my ADF (and one of the ACF) as emaciated youngsters who couldn't compete with the fish in their tanks for food. So I figure it'd be easier on them to not have to compete with more than RCS or each other (in the case of the ACFs)

:-D

I have 3 in my community tank with otos corys rummynose tetras and mine arw fine. Fed well and have grown well. I put pellets in the same corner everytime. They soon learn thats where the food will be.

This is an old thread, but in light of there being so many negative outcomes posted so far, I wanted to add a success story :)

I've had ADFs in several community tanks over the last 5 years or so with zero problems whatsoever. It is totally doable, but it takes some extra care. Here's the factors that I think will give you the best success:

1) Don't expect them to eat pellets, flakes, or sinking tablets. It is a very rare frog that will eat them. Frozen and live foods they will eat with gusto and will be fat and happy frogs in no time.

2) You absolutely have to target feed them. They have horrible eyesight and find their food mostly by smell. My fish are constantly stealing food from right in front of the frog's faces if I don't distract the rest of the tank first with their own food before feeding the frogs. I put the frozen cubes (chopped in half if they're too big) into a turkey baster, suck up some tank water into the tube, put my finger over the end and shake till the cube thaws out. Then I hold the end of the tube in front of the frog's face and squeeze the food out so it just barely hangs out the end and dangles just in front of the frogs nose. They'll grab it within a few seconds. I usually tap the front of the tank a couple times before putting in the turkey baster so the frogs have an audio cue to connect with feeding time. Once they hear it they come right to the front if they're hungry.

3) Don't keep them in big tanks. I had my frogs in my 75 gallon tank for a while and usually the only time I saw them was at feeding time because they would hide from all the activity. They also have to work harder to get to the surface to breathe in the taller tanks. Worn out frogs that are nervous from all the larger community (both in number of fish and fish size) = hiding frogs.

4) Keep a few of them, not just a single frog. Frogs seem to like company, and if you have both males and females they'll tend to grapple and sing to each other. Having company tends to make them more bold about not hiding all the time.

5) Consider ways to give them dimmer lighting, whether this is in the form of having floating plants, tall plants, or using moonlights. They tend to shy away from the bright lighting used in planted tanks. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have live plants, quite the contrary. They do appreciate having live plants to either climb to the surface or to hang out under and will be more active and social if you offer these things rather than keep them in an unplanted tank.

Given the right care and tank, frogs can add quite a bit of comedy and interest to a community. I love my frogs, and am constantly laughing at the odd poses I find them in when they're front and center begging for food. They're very comedic klutzes and I'll hear them singing to each other on most nights. Don't be discouraged!

I have a leopard frog in a 10gal tank I put a pool in the tank for his daily swim I've been feeding him worms and small crickets
I wanted to know if its possible to put a friend in there w him what kind of frog should I get I had this one from a tadpole

Since this thread is about African Dwarf frogs you may want to open a new thread, Rabena. Amphibious frogs like yours have much different care requirements from fully aquatic frogs like the ADFs, so most people clicking on this thread won't be able to offer any helpful suggestions for your situation :)

OK sorry new to this program I didn't have any luck w them because my crawfish set him up with food in front of his house waited til he went in then he never came out

I have had my 2 dwarf frogs and y 1 dwarf pleco the longest of all my tank mates. They play and compete with the dwarf pleco, and they do fine with the 1 betta. I used to have Tetras in the tank, but they stressed the frogs out from overcrowding.

I owned two African Dwarf Frogs in a community tank a little while ago. They died about a week and a half after I bought them. I had Rosy Barbs, Cory Cats, Panda Garra, and some Tetras. I have read online that you could have them in a community tank, but I was wrong. They could probably live with Bettas and other slow moving fish. They aren't very interesting either as they are slow and not very active until the night time. The only interesting thing about them is when they go up to the top of the tank to breathe. If you put these frogs in a community tank they will starve.

Tbh, i have never heard of dwarf frogs surviving over 2 months in any tank. I always see them dead. My LFS basically uses them as food.

Back
Top Bottom