Why does my ADF seem more happy in my 3-gal vs my 15-gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReyK

Aquarium Advice Regular
When I got my two African dwarf frogs a few days ago, I put them in my 15-gallon column (13.5"l x 13.5"w x 19"h) and the larger one settled in right away and swims around the bottom fairly actively, especially at night. The smaller of the two, however, refused to leave the top of the tank, floating and swimming near or hiding behind the filter for two or three days so I moved him to my 3-gallon cherry shrimp/nursery tank and almost immediately he started swimming down to the bottom. Should I leave him in the smaller tank? Should I move the other as well? I know ADFs aren't supposed to be in anything deeper than 18-24 inches and my tank is 19 inches deep, so is it possible the smaller frog was intimidated by the relatively deep water?

I had ADF and finding the food was a major challenge for them. I had to take them out of my 29g and put them in my 8g. As they got old they stop eating and wither.

ADF really shouldn't be in tall tanks. They have to shoot up from the bottom to get air and they also have a hard time eating unless you put food in a dish and they know where it is. They are happier in the smaller tank because they no longer have to work so hard to take a breath or fight for food. I would watch your shrimp though, the ADF will eat them if he can catch them so it may be best for you to get the 2 ADF a small 8-10g for themselves if you want to keep up your shrimp numbers.

Back
Top Bottom