10 gallon Salt water tank 1st time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanceuppercut

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone,
I would like to try to turn an unused 10 gal. aquarium I have into a small saltwater tank. I've looked into it, and heard it's difficult, but I think I'm up to the task. I've only had freshwater tanks before, and I don't know what all I'll need to make it saltwater.
I'd like to have a reef-like setup with one or two fish, and some shrimp or other invertebrates. What do I need to get?

P.S. please try not to use abbreviations for these things, I don't get them yet.

thanks for your help ahead of time

Well first off I would suggest you start larger if at all possible. 10 gallon is very small and to keep things stable it will require weekly water changes and daily top offs.

A basic list of what you need is:
-reverse osmosis deionization water (haha I dont think I have ever written that out in my life its usually RODI) This is water free of everything found in our tap water. Most fish stores sell it and if not you can make your own. This is an important item on the list of things you need. Many new people start using tap water and regret it later.
-aquarium salt such as instant ocean
-refractometer or hydrometer (way to measure salt levels) I prefer refractometer. They cost about $30, but give a crystal clear reading as hydrometers are usually off and take way more work for a reading which may or may not be right.
-thermometer
-heater
-sand (I use dry argonite)
-Lights. It really depends on what you want for corals to determine your lights. There are very few fixtures that even fit over a 10 gallon. I believe satellite makes a 20" 2x40 watt Power compact light. It would provide you with a pretty good range for corals.
-Power head for water movement
-10-15 pounds of live rock (this would provide most of your filtration)
-test kit. Liquid test kits are usually clearer so I would prefer them. Get a test kit which will allow you to test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
-Lastly before adding ANYTHING allow your tank to cycle. If you aren't sure how to cycle there is an article in the article section on saltwater cycling. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

Overall I think if your really commited then you can start with such a small tank, but realize that in the beginning you have to take things very slow. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom