10g nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
hello all as a few of you may be aware im starting the journy into salt water aquaria im well aware 10g is small but im willing dedicated and diligent. im a sw newb so please go slow with me i more than likely wont be starting this tank untill nov dec but nows the best time to start saveing and to research i was looking into a 10g nano reef with inverts more than likely a star or two. idreaminsaltwater's fionance set a sw reef up for under 200 and thats what im going for could you guys m gals help me set up a parts list etc. and tell me if i need a sump or refeguarium( i have no clue what either of these are) thank you very much

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

any sw help at all will be greatly appreciated my big concern now is a parts list so ii can save n hunt for deals

Okay, here's a list of parts:

-Tank
-Filter
-Heater
-Lights
-Sand
-Rock (Base or Live, your choice)
-Test kit (API Saltwater Master will be good to start)
-Hydrometer/refractometer (Refractometer would be the better choice)
-Salt mix (If you're making your own SW)
-Powerhead (luxury item, not necessary)

iDreamInSaltwater said:
Okay, here's a list of parts:

-Tank
-Filter
-Heater
-Lights
-Sand
-Rock (Base or Live, your choice)
-Test kit (API Saltwater Master will be good to start)
-Hydrometer/refractometer (Refractometer would be the better choice)
-Salt mix (If you're making your own SW)
-Powerhead (luxury item, not necessary)

sorry if i was to vauge but a general price range would be greatly appreciated you said your fiancée set up one for under 200 thats kind of what im going for and i live in ri so any helpful hints on where to go would be aamazing

My suggestion: FishNeedIt 24" T5HO for lights, AquaClear 50 for filter, and Koralia Nano for Powerhead. Be frugal. Don't impulse buy, and I suggest don't buy local. Typically Amazon will have the cheapest prices you're gonna find even when you factor in shipping.
When you factor in everything (rock, sand, water, inhabitants), it will be near impossible to keep under $200. But I know you can definitely get your setup for under $200.

Edit:
Standard 10g: $10 (Petco $1 per gallon)
Filter: ~$35
Heater: ~$25
Lights: ~$70
Test Kit: ~$20
Powerhead: ~$30

The rest falls on you, pretty much.

jenatronQT3.14159 said:
My suggestion: FishNeedIt 24" T5HO for lights, AquaClear 50 for filter, and Koralia Nano for Powerhead. Be frugal. Don't impulse buy, and I suggest don't buy local. Typically Amazon will have the cheapest prices you're gonna find even when you factor in shipping.
When you factor in everything (rock, sand, water, inhabitants), it will be near impossible to keep under $200. But I know you can definitely get your setup for under $200.

i dont mind if maitnence inhabitants etc carry it to above 200 but base setup itd be very nice to kkeep it at 200 or less should i do my shopping online? i dobt kknow of very many saltwater places in ri

thankks a ton the tank filter heater i plan on buyin in store my only concern is shipping on a T5H0 fiixture is shipping outrageous or is it rather reasoable

I did almost all of my shopping online.
I already had a heater, thermometer, and sand. The one thing I bought local (not online) was a moonlight and I payed way more than I should have. (Well, I bought my rock and water local as well) Definitely buy online.
Some will suggest you buy used; That's a personal decision. I personally am weary of buying used, but that's just me. If you're okay with buying used items, by all means check Craigslist and forums.

thankks a ton the tank filter heater i plan on buyin in store my only concern is shipping on a T5H0 fiixture is shipping outrageous or is it rather reasoable

Mine was $54 plus $10 shipping.

ok not to bad my bday list this year is definitely consistentiing of alot of fish stuff. do i need a sump refg or w.e they are? tell the truth i dont even kknow what they are or what they do

Well, I don't really know much about sumps/fuges. A sump is for extra water volume, and a fuge does the same as well as housing macro algaes for nutrient export and sometimes houses inverts. I'm not really one to say whether you should have one or not.
If you want a fuge, you can search for how to mod an Aquaclear into a fuge.

i think il stay away from them so powehead check filter check heater check tank check saltmix eh is there anything i need to kknow there? acclimation i know nothiing about. shippiinng mmy corals inverts i could use some advice on

I would strongly recomend looking for an auction organized by a aquarist club. You should be able to pick up a used tank, filter and heater for dirt cheap. May even snag a powerhead and decent lighting if ur lucky.

Frognugget said:
I would strongly recomend looking for an auction organized by a aquarist club. You should be able to pick up a used tank, filter and heater for dirt cheap. May even snag a powerhead and decent lighting if ur lucky.
il lookk but when ive looked in the past rhode island seems to be a dead zone

The tropical fish society of rhode island just had their annual auction in Cumberland. You can check out their website at tfsri.net
I would recommend contacting them. They should be able to point you in the direction of another local-ish auction.

i saw that frog but i wasnt to sure on them seeing as what i saw the only did fw stuff

il lookk but when ive looked in the past rhode island seems to be a dead zone

I'd start with a discount bookstore (we have one called Half-Price Books), and buy/read whatever I could get my hands on. SW isn't a cheap hobby... The smaller the tank, the more expensive it can become.

Wolf, I too am brand new to saltwater and decided to do a 10 gallon build. Just started it 3/10/11. I ran across a series on youtube by a guy that works at Indio Pacific Sea Farms that inspired me. I followed (so far) most of his step by step with some modifications of my own. For example I bought cured live rock from my lfs at a bargain rate of $4.99/lb, instead of making aragocrete rocks and purchasing some starter bacteria. It wasn't premium rock, just fiji, but because they were smaller pieces, they were mostly at the bottom of the curing tub and I think almost fully cured. Good coralline on it, minimal ammonia spike, zero nitrites.

Anyway, so far I've spent in the neighborhood of $250 using his method and everything has worked VERY well so far.

Here's the link to the first video in the series. YouTube - Nano Lagoon (1): Tank and Filter His light mod on the hood that came with the tank really works, plenty of light for a 10 gallon I think, much more than any of the standard "cube" kits i've seen set up.

Email me if you have any questions about what I've done so far. I haven't added anything yet, just waiting for things to be stable. My ammonia has been zero now for 3 days, nitrites have always been zero, have to do a water change to get the nitrates down (my own fault for using tap water as suggested by the video, because after testing my filtered tap water, it's high in nitrates. I figured since I had a Pur filter on it, it would at least filter out some nasties. Now buying RO water from the grocery).

I know I'm new and don't mean to be any kind of authority, but I'm just saying that I'm very pleased with how this setup has been working, and it benefits from some built in cost cutting. I have a lot to learn yet that is for sure!!!

Back
Top Bottom