120 Gallon Reef Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i might want to do a reef in my 120 (60x18x25.5) and was wondering what type of fish i could put in it. Any lists would be great

would it eat all corals or are there some i could keep with it. What other fish do you suggest for the tank?

That's a nice footprint for a reef tank. Like austinsdad saaid, there are a ton of options for fish down the road. If you don't yet have the equipment, now is the time to research what you'll need. Is the tank drilled? Are you going to run a sump? Have you set a realistic budget for equipment and livestock? How are you going to cycle the tank? Do you plan on using an RO/DI unit? Have water storage capabilities? Etc. etc.

the tank is drilled and i will be running probably a 30 gallon sump if i can fit it in the stand. Im just looking to set a stocking list so i know what im going to do when the tank is all setup. I like the large angels and wanted to have one in a reef tank with some tangs and clows ect. because i find that if you dont do a reef then you have some really nice fish to choose from like triggers and other predators. I was originally thinking of a predator but want to see the options for a reef tank

Reefs are great. Acropora, Montipora, LPS, Softies. Fish like Anthias', Wrasses, Clowns, Everything! :D Well maybe not everything but lots. :) Tangs and Dwarf Angles also.

the only thing about reefs is that the fish that are reef safe dont interest me too much. Its like i want the corals but then i want the kool looking fish and not just the normal stuff.

Cool looking fish? How does that work? There are pleanty of cool reef safe fish. :D Some have quirky personalities, others look cool. Some are both. :D

How much you planning on spending for lights? That'll help you decide on reef or no reef.

Tangs, some wrasses, pygmy angels (could surprise and munch on corals one day, maybe not), blennies (sailfins, midas are awesome IMO), clowns, gobies (small and large). Those types not interesting enuf?

well im into bigger fish that have really nice coloration thats why i wanted to try a big angel in a reef tank.

All angels big and dwarf will not work in a reef. I had two dwarfs that were model citizens for 4 yrs but they went to munching on my corals and almost wrecked my reef. The big angels are definitely going to be a big NO. You might get away with dwarf angels for a while but not with big angels.

dang alright what kind of stocking list can i do like how many of what type of fish

well i want to keep all the fish and dont want to upgrade so

how many Tangs you think i could do. i was wanting a Sailfin and a Hippo Tang or Purple Tang. Then i have no idea how much more fish could be added between clowns and chromis and damsels and gobies

ok and what about all the other fish? as fr as how many of each

Back
Top Bottom