125 gal fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweeper16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So a guy offered a 125 gallon tank for $200 and I took the deal, was really interested into making it a saltwater since my last tank didn't survive the move :angel:(besides my anemone "queso"). I needed help in deciding almost everything since ive never tackled a tank this large before:eek:. I am also on a kind of tight budget and would like as much as can be to be DYI, just for the fun of it. so what kind of lighting would I be using, should I drill the tank or use a overflow box, people say they arnt very reliable. do I really need a skimmer for such a large tank and no coral? Finally stocking, my only true desire for this tank is to have some kind of puffer, I am open to all suggestions as long as they are awesome to look at.:fish2:

IMO a 125 needs a skimmer no matter the type of setup. you could always do a DIY skimmer or even a DIY turf scrubber. lights can be whatever you want, if they look good to you, there ya go. drill it, yes its a bit of extra work now, but do you really wanna leave the house everyday wondering if your lift pump is going to fail? or your overflow box is going to lose syphon?

what exactly is a turf scrubber? I saw it in one of your earlier threads

essentially it runs water over a "sheet" that has lights aimed at it, what it does is grows algae in a higher concentration, helps to remove organics and phosphates in a system

alright i just found out its tempered glass, so is the overflow my only option now?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We'll you can't drill tempered glass so unfortunately it sounds like that's your only option as far as I know

Picked up the tank, whole thing is tempered glass, going to run a crp overflow into a 30 gal sump and a 20 gal refugium

Back
Top Bottom