15 gal pointless for salwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a extra 15 gal tank I was going to use it for breading but I want to get into some salt water to. Is it to small to even try? I am going to get another 55 soon or bigger but just wondering if it pointless to try with a 15 gal with like 1 fish or something. thoughts?

I have a 15 gallon SW tank in my bedroom, i have a couple clowns, a shirmp, and an Urchin i keep in it. No problems here.

I hada ten for a while and it was nice but I am warning you that you will just want more. my ten is now a sump for my new tank......

It can be set up as a nano. I started with a 20gal. I agree with the above you will want more. You will be limited to 1-2 fish and a few inverts.

Here is a link for some fish compatible with that size tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124

FYI, even a 15 gal can be costly to get the right equipment for SW. IMO, a small tank is not necessarily a great place to start with because believe it or not small tank require more maintenance due to a small volume of water that must be maintained at a high standard.

HTH,

You can do a nice nano in a 15 gallon tank. You might need to get some new lights for it, but that would be all that I can think of. Many people keep reef tanks even smaller than 15 gallons. I say go for it, but make sure you do your research and reading before you dive in. 8)

yeah thanks guys I think i might. DO you think you guys can give me a hand to set up. What do I all need like everything. I am new to salt water.
I search around site but everything seems to be different aka they told me 15 was way to small. So maybe you guys can give eme a hand of all what i need.
also I would like some coral and stuff like that too.

Magnaflow,

Everyone has their own thoughts and ideas on what you will need. Compare responses and do your homework. Check out the articles page:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

Assuming you are starting out from scratch with just the 15gal tank I would highly suggest scrapping the idea of using the existing tank and check out a nano cube:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10677&N=2004+2020

These usually sell for $99-119 and basically come with everything you need minus decor and livestock. By the time you get the proper lighting and filtration for 15gal you will spend more than this. Considering a new 15gal is like $22 you are not losing much by not using it as most of your existing FW equipment cannot be used with SW. You could still use the 15gal for mixing/storing salt water and/or a QT tank.

The new models of nano cubes with the fan and lights are great. I have been very tempted on more than one occassion when they have been on sale at my LFS. They also make a 24gal model.

If you are going to set up a nano do not look at it as starting small and then moving up to a larger tank as a nano is an entirely different kind of set up with different livestock.

IME, when you start with saltwater you want to take your time and do it right or it just leads to frustration. Been there done that. :roll: The Nano cube is a great affordable starting point to learn with as you prepare to do a larger display tank.

HTH,

tempted to just say nuts to ti and goign down and buyign another 55 gallon. would be easier that way wouldnt it.. liek a pre setup for salt water

Magnaflow,

It sounds like you are more interested in a display tank than nano system. If that is the case then I would suggest you scrap the 15gal idea as well. It can still be used for other things like a QT tank for smaller fish.

Before you go get that 55gal I would suggest you look at getting the largest tank you can afford with 75gal being the smallest. A 55gal can definately work and many have done it, but I think once you get going you will find yourself limited. I am there now with my 75gal and looking to upgrade.

Actually, the larger the SW system is the easier it is to maintain because of the larger water volume, not to mentio you can have more variety of live stock.

Good luck,

the only big thing as in $$ is the filtration and different pumps. Not to sure what you use or buy but from what I hear its a lot of $$

It is expensive to get started if you do not have anything already. Check out my sinature for what I use on my 75gal. I went the inexpensive route. My set up in not reef though as I do not keep live corals and still do not have proper lighting (way expensive$$$). I had the canister from FW days. The largest purchase I made to convert my 75gal from FW to SW was the Bak Pak 2 filter/protien skimmer which currently goes for around $120-150.

I guess my point is that the set up costs are not going to be much more from a 55-75. If you go much bigger I would probably go with a sump filtration system which is pricy($300 +).

so say I go another 55 gallon I can use the filter it comes with and the light just buy a skimmer? what about gravel and stuff all the same? My buddy said "mushroom coral?? or something will grow fine in the tanks without proper lights.

I do not keep corals due to the fact that I do not have enough lighting even with 130Watts. Yes, there are some corals that do not require intense light, but you still need to do your research and make sure you have enough.

Are you planning on buying a 55Gal kit? If so the bulb will need to be replaced and more lighting added. I am guessing any filter that comes with it will be undersized and not appropriate for SW.

If I were setting up a 55Gal FOWLR I would probably still use the same filtration I have on my 75Gal which is a 350 mag canister filter and a Bak Pak 2 filter and protein skimmer.

That is why I suggest for the extra $20-30 and upgrade to at least a 75G which also provides 6" more depth for the fish and aquascaping.

JMT,

BTW, it is suggested to have 3-5 WPG for lighting for a reef tank. Even with lower light coral you probably still need 2 WPG. Most 48"strip lights are only 40 watts.

So, even if you add a 2nd light you are still only at 80 watts unless you upgrade to PC, MH or something else which can be costly. This is the primary reason I do not keep corals. I just cannot bring myself to spend $300-400 for lights. :roll:

Itell you this not to discourage you. With what I do have I still get some nice colaration on my LR and have successfully kept 3 rock flower anenome. There are still a lot of possibilities with a FOWLR set up.

Just be prepared for the sticker shock of lighting if you do plan to go the live coral route. :wink:

live rock it is for now lol.. any chance you can send me soem link to get the right filters? skimmer and stuff.. no idea what they look liek when I go to price them

thansk this gives me a some idea what to look for. I think I might just stick with my Fw for now and buy parts to set up a SW then get the tank once I got it all

Back
Top Bottom