150 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wade_vv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i'm looking into buying a 150g tank to be used as a fowlr and eventually a reef. i have 2 20 gallon SW tanks right now but the fish i have in them are going to outgrowing them in the next six months or so.

my question is would it be more convenient to have the tank just drilled or get the all-glass mega-flo system with the built in over flow boxes?

also i plan on building my own stand.. the stands that they make for them arren't high enough and their prices are too high so i was wondering if there are any good places to find plans for stand building... thanks

Check out the DIY forums both here and at reefcentral.com. There are plenty of projects people have done to give you tons of ideas for stands or anything else.

As far as the overflow goes it is really up to you. The advantages of having the mega-flow system is it is all inside your tank which may allow you to keep the tank a little closer to the wall. If you take a regular tank and drill the back glass that gives you more room in the tank but usually you have to keep the tank a little further out due to the plumbing.
Another thing to consider is if you want to have it drilled for a closed loop system to keep power heads out of the display tank.

Hope that helps.

-Eric

Closed Loop

This is how to get the extra flow. I have been researching it, but haven't done it myself yet. Still getting everything together for my 220 :lol:

http://melevsreef.com/closedloop.html

I plan to do this and have it "hanging on the back of my tank" and make the outlets adjustable so I can point them wherever I want. I saw a JEBO 5600 pump rated at 1320 GPH that I'm thinking would be a good fit. How's that sound?

Back
Top Bottom