150 gallon tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first saltwater tank. I would love to reef but it will start out fish only. I have only my 150 tank, single over flow, stand, canopy, and Skimmer. Im gonna to be doing this on a budget. I have a 10 gallon tank that I thought I could use as a sump but found out in was to small. Any and all suggestions and tips on equipment will be greatly appreciated.

A 10 gallon sump is way to small. I have a 125 gallon reef tank with a 55 gallon sump. Depending on what type of fish you want I would throw rock in the tank first & cycle it without fish. Like Tangs for instance need rock to swim in & out of & whole for them to hide in since they get scared & stressed easily. Plus with Tangs you want to wait a long time to put one in until your tank gets established. If your going to eventually do reef I would start with Instant Ocean Reef Crystals & also look into a RODI system. If I new about that system before I used tap water I would of bought one from the get go, since I got brown diatom that was horrible! Good luck on your new hobby!

Maybe a 55 or 30 go sump and use the 10 as an ATO system

So I bought the tank used it doesn't leak but the glass was cloudy so I used a sponge, a Scrapper, and vinegar to clean it. Done it before but one side is still cloudy the rest of the tank came clean. Any more ideas?

jet said:
So I bought the tank used it doesn't leak but the glass was cloudy so I used a sponge, a Scrapper, and vinegar to clean it. Done it before but one side is still cloudy the rest of the tank came clean. Any more ideas?

Soak it in vinegar.. Don't use a scrapper or anything like an SOS pad or your scratch it. We soaked ours in vinegar & it came out clean & not cloudy like it was. Ours was one hot mess since the previous owner (of our freshwater) didn't maintenance or clean it for a year.

You can use a glass scraper if the tank is glass. It won't get scratched. Acrylic gets scratched very easily though.

So I soaked towels in vinegar and let it soak for close to 12 hours with no results. Glass and towels were still wet this morning.

Its crazy, it looks worse after soaking in vinegar

ForumRunner_20121021_203943.jpg

Might need to try and take a razor blade to it with vinegar. Once I used CLR and a razor blade. I know people don't condone it because of the chemicals. But mine worked out fine. I just made sure I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed it out numerous times. Had no issues

What size of return pump do I need from my sump up, my tank is 72" long 28" tall 18" front to back. Double corner overflows? I haven't plumped anything, my sump tank is 45 gallons. I bought a used tank for my sump to. Its 36" long 12" Front to back and 24" tall. I have yet to put in baffles have been searching this forum and images on internet for ideas, I want dorsal pipe to tread to bulk head ball valve after bulk head then followed by a union then t to one down to my sump. The return is where I need help with. Pump and plumbing please and thank you.

Assuming your overflows are using 1" pipe, that would provide 600gph each. You will need to T them into at least a 1.5" pipe for about 1000gph total. Do you don't want to exceed that number for your return after accounting for headloss. A ball valve can be used in the return line to reduce the return flow so you don't pump your return section dry.

I'm staring to build my sump and do all my plumbing this weekend, in my sump I will have a refug, protein Skimmer, and the media like pads, carbon, phosphate and ect(anything I should or shouldn't put in would be great). I was looking at doing a DIY algae scrubber in my first section of my sump with my Skimmer. Any guidance on the dos and don'ts of the sump would be awesome. I want cheato live sand and live rock in my refug.

Unless your gonna go with a dsb then skip the sand in the sump.

Sniperhank said:
Never seen those lights before. If you are thinking about them on your sump, just get a clip on work light and bulb. Cost me 8 bucks to light my fuge.

I have lights for my fuge. I was wanting to use it on my tank.

Back
Top Bottom