1st tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robdal55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have just been given a small tank for my 60th birthday as I have always been keen to have a fishtank. My question is do I need to wash ornaments and silk plants before I put them in the tank and if I do, do I need to treat the water that I wash them in or is it safe to just use ordinary tap water for this?
I suppose the same applies to the tank for cleaning it out before I start!??
Any advice on this to point me in the right direction would be great. It may seem a silly question to some of you, but I want to get things right from the start. All the advice I have read only states to clean the tank, but doesn't state to use treated water to do this or just plain tap water.
Thanks!! :ermm:

Hello!

Just to clarify this is in the right section as a saltwater tank?

I'd suggest going to the "Getting Started" section and reading the stickies.

1. Always treat the water. Fish are not going to last very long if it's not treated as the chlorine can burn them.

2. Cycling(The Nitrogen Cycle) a tank is very important. The stickies has a guide or a have a beginner level write up that's easy to understand and I use for social media. It's crucial you know and understand this process for your tank to be successful.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom