2 powerheads enough???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willy0508

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I want to replace my powerhead and filter. My 29gal tank is finished cycling and I'm in the process of getting a skimmer so I can remove the HOB filter. Can't get a fuge under the tank right now as the stand is kinda small (working on it ;)). Got nothing in the tank but 25lbs of live rock right now and I'm looking at a CUC also.

I'm going FOWLR for now and would like to move to corals later down the road. Would 2 of the 425GPH Hydor Koralia Nano's be enough flow for a 29gal? I like them because my tank is smaller and they aren't as big as the Evolution 550's. Will that be enough with a skimmer for corals in the future or should a go with 2 of the Hydor Koralia Evolution 550's now in anticipation of buying coral in the future?

Just trying to think ahead as I put all this together.

Thanks
willy0508

Is your tank drilled or are you going to use an overflow box? I have 2 of the 425 on my 24 gallon jbj and it does a good enough job with the maxi jet 1200 in the back. It is a reef tank.

you can do an HOB refugium if you don't have the space for one in the stand. i have two koralia550 in my 26gallon bowfront and they do the job well, but it all comes down to the types of corals you plan on keeping, some require really high flow

It's not drilled and my wife bought the setup so she went with the pretty :D stand and it's got a small door and interior that's why i was looking at a HOB Fuge.

I liked the Nano's for their size and I'm not sure on what types of corals since it will be a while before adding, need to research. I'd be looking at beginner type to start. If I got the 2 425's I guess I could upgrade one in the future if it's not enough.

Without the fuge in the stand I was trying to keep it as clutter free in the tank but that's becoming unrealistic I guess as the HOB's and Skimmers have pumps too. :) I think Big Al's has the 425's on sale, my try them and see how it goes for a few months with just fish and CUC.

Back
Top Bottom