2 psuedochromas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graz3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
a couple of weeks ago i purchased a purple dotty back. Today i purchased another dottyback (blue with a yellow stripe down its back). I didn't know that it is not reccomended to have two of this species. I have plenty of live rock for hiding. Does anyone think that this new addition to my tank will survive?

Thanks for the feedback

55 gallons. I woke up this morning and cannot find the new fish. Checked all equipment where it could have gone and nothing. It might have gotten out, but i haven't seen it on the floor. I hope it's just hiding and will eventually surface.

Thanks

If you are refering to the sunrise dottyback and the orchid dottyback these two species should actually tolerate each other providing there is enough LR as you stated.

Did you notice any aggression after placing the new addition (hopefully QT'd first) into the display tank?

Got any 4 legged pets?

Cheers
Steve

Agression isn't even the word. When the orchid dottyback got a glimpse of the new sunrise dottyback, it was pure evil.

If that's the case then the sunrise dotty is most likely dead or has jammed itself in the LR. If it's still in there alive I would definately remove it and return the fish to the LFS. If there was any chance for two dotties to get along, that would have been the combination but your set up may be too small and/or the LR was not as abundant as you thought.

Why did you not remove the fish as soon as you saw such extreme aggression?

Cheers
Steve

Simply becasue it disappeared. Fortunately the sunrise dotty back is starting to come out of his hiding place. At first it was just a glimpse, but now he is swimming in his own area. The other dottyback hasn't been bothering him. I think the situation is turning for the better. If there is any other signs that the sunrise dottyback may be in jepordy, i would gladly give it back even if the money was lost.

Back
Top Bottom