2 quick cycle questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donf

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 46 gallon bow. I have a remora pro, 2 powerheads, and a canister filter with no media for flow only.

Tomorrow I am going to receive 60lbs of LR from LR.com and per other threads I can cycle with the LR.

There is nothing else in the tank.

1.) Should I skim from day 1 through the cycle?
2.) Should I use a shrimp as well as the LR that will start the cycle?

Thanks,

Don

1.) Should I skim from day 1 through the cycle?
Yes, i would.
2.) Should I use a shrimp as well as the LR that will start the cycle?
I wouldn't until you see how much the ammonia spikes. You can "feed" the bacteria with a little piece a couple times a week, but IMO a full cocktail shrimp cycle would be overkill. With #60, that is plenty to set up a good cycle.
Have fun!! :D

You will in all likelihood get a spike from some die off in the rock. With 60 lb of cured rock, that spike should resolve rather quickly (my cycle without LR took 4 weeks). Once your parameters return to zero, you're all set. As I'm sure you already know, just add the critters slowly so that the bacteria populations can keep up with the increased bioload, and enjoy!

Post some pics. Most of us love to see other tanks develop from scratch. (And even if some don't, I post lots of pics anyway !!)

i would wait a week and check parameters as often as possible. since online cured live rock goes through shipping there will be more die off then if to get it from a lfs so i would either skim from the start or wait a day or two for your tank to settle. i got 100% cured live rock from my lfs and i witn essed little to no cycle at all and was able to add 2 O. clowns 6 days later and they have been flouseshing in my tank. I also used bio spira and would recommend it if you are looking for a product like that. I must add that i haven't added anything else besides a few snails and hermits and recently added feather duster. I put the clowns in about 2 weeks ago and am gonna add all the small fish i plan on having first.

Back
Top Bottom