20 gal saltwater setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the opposite water kills the bacteria. As in if you dipped saltwater liverock in freshwater, it'll kill off the bacteria.

I went ahead and picked up a new aqua clear and some PFS in preparation. Won't be able to convert the tank until next month, but I like to have everything ready.

Aaaaaand, just heard back on a craigslist 55 with tank light ANd stand for $75... So that may be the new SW setup, woot!!!!

Just check for anyu issues, other than that, amazing deal. 55 will give you a bit more selection in terms of fish

Like I said, just be cautious,I got a fully operational 125 salt setup, complete with 3 bags of food and equipment, 50lbs of sand, and fish, for 300....so good deals are out there.

negligent_inmate said:
Like I said, just be cautious,I got a fully operational 125 salt setup, complete with 3 bags of food and equipment, 50lbs of sand, and fish, for 300....so good deals are out there.

Well, this is equipment only. So no worries there, just have to make sure everything looks nice!

When you go to look at it, check around the tank and look for any bottles of meds that he may have used. If there is copper listed as an ingredient, run for the hills. If there are no meds, ask if they have been used. Anything that involves ich or any parasites means that there has more than likely been copper in the main tank. Copper can cause you some serious issues down the road, even trace amounts are toxic to inverts which includes your coral.

Agreed, I am very careful about anything that goes into my tanks. I have a 10 gal that I use for quarantine for fish ONLY for any medications.
Nothing goes in my displays except for prime during PWC.
I am more worried about getting all of the equipment I am going to need for the SW...
RO unit, sand, lights, sump....
UGH! :banghead:

RODI,uv sterilizer, and protein skimmer aren't 100% necessary . Using de-chlor water will be ok, once you go coral you'd def want the rodi, as corals are more sensitive. Uv sterilizers are hit and miss, I don't personally own one...no problems. Protein skimmer is same story as rodi. While not keeping corals, don't really need it if your flowrate and sump are decent. But once corals come in, you'd want to run it

Sump definitely is something I want setup and ready from day 1. I will just be starting with live rock, then cycling, and then fish. I know that I am absolutely starting with a pair of ocillarus clowns, and then open from there.
It's a journey ;)

Edit: I found a 5 stage 50 gal per day RODIN unit from crystal clear on amazon new for $131.95, is that a good deal? Should I jump on it?

I wouldn't be able to tell you if that's a good deal or not, I know that a majority of people on this site have had good luck finding a portable rodi unit on ebay for 60-70 bucks, but then again, those ones prob aren't 5-stage.

Good call with the link lol. I wasn't about to spend 30 minutes trying to convince my blackberry to surf thru ebay lol

Back
Top Bottom