20 gallon salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suzukidude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is it possible to put two clow fish in a twenty gallon salt water tank? Right now it is sitting with just plants in it, i moved all my cichlids to a new 70 gallon, i want to try to make this 20 G a saltwater, is it too small?

THANKS

I was thinking of setting it up soon. Can i just pour the salt into the freshwater thats in there? I have no experience with saltwater tanks so any advice would be much apreciated!

Thanks

eric

well, youll be best off taking everything out, dumping the water, cleaning the tank really well with some kind of scrubbie pad (no soaps) and then fill it back up, get some kind of crushed coral, sand or whatever you like substrate meant for saltwater, and fill up the tank, it might be a good idea to get the water in first and salt it (youll need a hydrometer and a bag of salt) aim for a SG(salinity) of 1.020-1.024, youll also want to clean all your filter stuff, heater etc, and get new pads for your filter...

Of course i should recommend that if you are serious about this, to pick up the book "the conscientious marine aquarist" by robert fenner, it will help you a ton, and readign that before you start will give you a good idea on what to do and help you understand the salt world, fish and equipment are all covered, as well as inverts and algeas and well...everything HTH

yes to the clowns. DEFINATELY clean that thing out. Don't just dump in SW. Be sure to understand how a SW tank cycles (you may already know) and add the fish after the cycle. about 3 - 4 weeks ish.

Jim

Yes, FW and SW bacteria for your nitrogen cycle are slightly different...you'll need to re-cycle the tank before you add any fish.

I second the book by Robert Fenner...it's one of the best SW books available right now, and doesn't give bad advice...in fact it might even be a little over cautious, but that simply means more people will succeed by following his guidelines.

I second the book by Robert Fenner...it's one of the best SW books available right now,
Agreed! It should be your next purchase.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

I third about reading up on sw before taking the plunge, it's well worth it but a lot easier if you have an understanding of how it works, you will change things as time goes by but start out on the right foot and your that much farther ahead of the game.

Back
Top Bottom