20G going reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

etoja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new here and I like that people seem nice and helpful.

I currently have 20g tank with 1.5 in of gravel, 4 pounds of live rock, one clown, one shrimp and one mushroom coral, which I was running for about 2 years. I've decided to go reef and grow more corals so I will have to upgrade current equipment. (Can't really afford bigger tank at this point)

My current setup: Penguin 150 filter, Heater and thermometer )) Oh, and a T8 light bulb under the hood. Yeah it's lame, i know )

My questions for you guys:
1) Is it even realistic to try to keep 20 reef tank for someone who never maintained corals before? Or should I give up on that whole idea and have it as a FOWLR until I can afford larger tank+equipment?

2) I know I need better lights, protein skimmer and air circulation pump. Anything else? How is Penguin 150 for corals - is it good enough? Also, what is a good protein skimmer that is not loud - the tank is right next to the couch, I tried SeaClone 100 and it was so loud I could barely hear the TV so I had to return it.

3) How many corals will fit in 20g "comfortably" assuming I only have 2-3 fish in the tank.

I'd love to hear your thought and advice! I will be putting updates here as I get my new equipment/corals with some pictures. So excited!!

Attachments

• IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2269.jpg
    IMG_2269.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 102
Once you upgrade your lights I think you will be ready for some more corals. :)
If you do weekly water changes you can skip on the protein skimmer. I would however add 2 powerheads to the tank, like maybe 2 koralia 425's or 550's.

Ah thanks! So I will make lights/powerheads my first priority! Are you sure two 425s or 550s won't be too much of a flow? It's only 20g and the box says one 425 should be plenty..

I vote for two so that you have proper circulation. :) I had 2 750's in my 29g tank. lol

Is it a 20L tank? Or a regular 24 inch long tank?

It's regular 24 inches long tank. hope it's not too small..

For a 24 inch tank I think two 425's would be good. :) I have them in my 20g and my 29g tank now and they don't generate much flow.

I will definitely make power heads and light my number one priority, and get more rock in. I was also told that sand is much better then gravel, because it does not trap so many debris and thus higher nitrites which corals don't like, so I am planning on doing that also - my gravel is ugly anyways.

For the lights i was thinking LED, because I really dig the moonlight option they have and also the fact that I won't have to replace bulbs. But if I can't find decent deal I will look into T5s

Sounds good. :)

When you start to change out the gravel you can do 1/4 of the tank every water change. You don't want to switch it all out at once, just do it in sections.

Look into the reef octopus bh-1000 hand on back Skimmer. Its nice and quiet and the pump isn't in the tank like most other hob Skimmers. I just got it for my 29 and its super quiet! Or like Carey said just do once a week changes. As for power heads I have 2 koralia 550's and kind of wish I went a little bigger but they are great power heads I would recommend them to anyone

I'm currently running a 20 gal tall, coral only. I was wondering how u would position the 2 power heads? Are u looking for one at each end forming a whirlpool effect? Or one pointing up for air mix and the other for circular flow? ( mine r like this now)

Lauramichelle said:
I'm currently running a 20 gal tall, coral only. I was wondering how u would position the 2 power heads? Are u looking for one at each end forming a whirlpool effect? Or one pointing up for air mix and the other for circular flow? ( mine r like this now)

Here's the tank

image-2887214728.jpg

Sounds good. :)

When you start to change out the gravel you can do 1/4 of the tank every water change. You don't want to switch it all out at once, just do it in sections.

I am glad you said that! because I was really going to just swap it :blink:! I thought I would put my guys in the bucket (or hospital tank), drain the water out in a big bottle (I have couple of 10 gal bottles from water delivery service) and replace the gravel with sand. It makes much more sense to do it with water changes.

I installed one 425 air pump this morning (second will have to wait till i have more $), and fish seem to like it :)

Look into the reef octopus bh-1000 hand on back Skimmer. Its nice and quiet and the pump isn't in the tank like most other hob Skimmers. I just got it for my 29 and its super quiet! Or like Carey said just do once a week changes. As for power heads I have 2 koralia 550's and kind of wish I went a little bigger but they are great power heads I would recommend them to anyone

I like quiet! Main reason I didn't have protein skimmer in the first place is that the one I tried (SeaClone 100) was super loud. My fish tank is next to the couch an I literally could not hear the sound on TV when installed it. I think I will go with water changes for now since I need to invest in lights, live rock and power heads. But will definitely look into getting it in a few month. Thanks!

etoja said:
I like quiet! Main reason I didn't have protein skimmer in the first place is that the one I tried (SeaClone 100) was super loud. My fish tank is next to the couch an I literally could not hear the sound on TV when installed it. I think I will go with water changes for now since I need to invest in lights, live rock and power heads. But will definitely look into getting it in a few month. Thanks!

No problem. My tank is right next to my couch also and I just installed my new lights yesterday and holy crap! I went from a 17w t8 to a 346w fixture with 4 t5s and 1 250w mh. I would suggest the fixture I got to anyone. It is the odyssea 30" advance plus fixture. Awesome! Just needed to swap the bulbs out for ati's oh and the fixture without new bulbs is $179 with new bulbs about 260

How cool, I should look into into getting that light fixture - price is very decent!

Meanwhile, I changed gravel for the sand. I tried doing it gradually with water changes, but it clouded the tank so much I got worried for the fish. So I moved everyone out, drained the water and cleaned out all gravel. Now my tank has 40 pounds of sand - half live and half regular. Looks pretty cloudy... But my guys are happily hanging out in the "hotel"

Attachments

• image-1198736906.jpg
    image-1198736906.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3109151972.jpg
    image-3109151972.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 86
Yeah its a great fixture! Only thing I really say you have to do is get a clip on fan to blow between the fixture and the glass top. If you don't the water heats up 1 degree per hour on a 29 gal tank. Other than that its fantastic. Glad to hear you got the gravel all switched out. The clouding will go down soon. Then back in with the fish

Back
Top Bottom