20g long tank start up???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am not new to the aquatic world I have 2 fresh water tanks currently, but I am new to AA and to the world of salt water. I have been doing some research on salt water set ups, but it all is confussing and contradicting at best. I am looking into getting a 20G long tank and starting a SW aquarium. How difficult a project will this be realistically? I don't really want to go over the top, manly looking for a little coral life, maybe some rock life, a few smaller fish and possible an invertibrate or two. What are the BASICS I will need to get started? I will have about $1000 to start with...gotta love late tax returns :p...Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi, welcome to AA! SW can be a bit confusing but if you do your research and plan carefully you will be fine. I jumped straight into SW with almost no aquarium experience at all.

If you want to start out small, a 20G tank is a good size. Generally speaking larger tanks are easier for beginners because they have extra water volume that can make mistakes a bit less costly. The basic SW aquarium consists of the tank, substrate (usually sand), heater, filter and/or powerheads, live rock, and lights. In a tank as small as 20G you will not need a protein skimmer. Some prefer to go natural and use live rock as their only filtration while others use filters as well--canisters or HOBs are generally good. For corals you will need strong lighting, T5 is recommended.

There is a great article here called Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank that goes into depth about everything I mentioned. It should be very helpful. If you are starting out simple, I would have a FOWLR at first and go reef once you have some experience. I think $1000 would be enough to start out.

I don't know what specific information you're looking for, so if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

So far I have figured out that I need, to start the list, sea salt, I'm going with Oceanic sea salt mix, 16 lbs of live rock to help start the cycle, an EHiem Jager Heater for a 30g tank, EHiem aquaball powerhead, and a Top Fin HOB power filter 30 with adjustable rate for a 30g tank. Now as far as substrate goes, I am at a cross roads. Do I buy some Natural Oceans White sand from LFS, or do I drive the 1.3 miles to the Atlantic ocean and get some when I go snorkling later this weekend? Any suggestions on how a new tank would react to this? Also, what am I missing? Thanks for the help!

For a 20 gallon L tank, i'm sure $1000 would be plenty. I mis-read and thought I read $100 thinking, he might not even get the lights for that price !! I've been here for about 2 months and love the site. Everyone has great advice on what he/she did to their tanks. There are going to be the guys that have links, list do's and don'ts, all of which are great advice.

Please read the threads. I rushed my first SW tank and although it looked good for about 2-3 months, the everthing hits you at once, water parameters, algea, fish deaths, some more algea. I've started up another tank and i've read till it seems my eyes and head hurt.

I started my cycle with just a small set of T5's, 42 total watts. I use a CC (crushed coral) as my substrate and about 15lbs of LR. Had a HOB filter for a 55 gallon tank for ciculation, a heater and thermometer. I used the fish food method to start my cycle.

Have fun and be patient !!

Thanks for the support. Any advice at using sand substrate I pull from the ocean. I am not going to take it from anywhere near the beach, i will go out near an uninhabited island or a shallow reef and pull some from there with salt water to keep all the natural nutrients intact. Good/Bad idea? Input, as always, appreciated.

IMO i don't think that would be a bad idea. If you were getting it from right off the beach then i'd say otherwise.

Yeah the beach is kinda nasty all around. People really don't care for them at all. I figure and uninhabited island would be perfect as there are litterally hundreds of them in the south florida area that are very easy to get to. Thanks for the help!

I'd still be wary of ocean sand. Dry arogonite sand rinsed well will work. I'd be wary of contaminants that a large ocean can dilute, but a closed system, 20g tank couldn't deal with. Don't ask what kinda contaminants. Dunno. I just wouldn't chance it.

I also think for $1,000, you could go with a larger tank. How about a 55g? More water is more forgiving as a rule.

Use this calculator for how much sand you want. I like a 2-3" sand bed for reef. Sand Bed

I don't have the space for 55g or I would definitly go that route!

Back
Top Bottom