20g transfer to 135g. When can i put it all in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonnypro

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is up and running now how long should I wait to put my live rock from my other tank in. My salinity And PH are perfect. There will be no die off of the live rock.

if both tanks are up and running right now with the "same" water, just pull it out and put it in the new tank, so long as you dont have any stock in the new tank, if you do, take out some water into a bucket of your old tank water, that way you can submerge the rock and just twist and shake it under water to get all the junk and settled stuff off the rock so it wont cloud your new tank at all, if your not too worried about this at all, just pull the rock and scape your new tank.

if both tanks are up and running right now with the "same" water, just pull it out and put it in the new tank, so long as you dont have any stock in the new tank, if you do, take out some water into a bucket of your old tank water, that way you can submerge the rock and just twist and shake it under water to get all the junk and settled stuff off the rock so it wont cloud your new tank at all, if your not too worried about this at all, just pull the rock and scape your new tank.
i do not have any livestock in the new tank. Just rock that cured a few months ago. I will acclimate the fish.

if your sure theres not going to be die off, then just chunk in the rock, why wait.

if your sure theres not going to be die off, then just chunk in the rock, why wait.
it will only Benoit of the water for 10 seconds. That's not any time for die off. Do I have to acclimate the rock? Just dawned on me.

it will only Benoit of the water for 10 seconds. That's not any time for die off. Do I have to acclimate the rock? Just dawned on me.

no, the rock is "live" rock but its not "alive" persay, just put it in, no worries.

companies ship their live rock with wet newspaper draped over it. as long as the rock is damp, it should be ok. being as to how youre going from one tank to the other, you wont experience much of anything...especially in a 135

companies ship their live rock with wet newspaper draped over it. as long as the rock is damp, it should be ok. being as to how youre going from one tank to the other, you wont experience much of anything...especially in a 135
Well I only have 4 fish , tux urchin coral banded shrimp and a few crabs locally caught. What about a mini cycle. Am I going to have one?

I am going to say no. 2 reasons being 1) its a huge volume of water, so it can absorb water chemistry swings better. And 2) you are going from established tank to the 125. Also the only thing youll prob see is the new tank adjusting to its own levels. Im sure its levels wont settle at exactly the same as your current tank, other than that youll e fine

I am going to say no. 2 reasons being 1) its a huge volume of water, so it can absorb water chemistry swings better. And 2) you are going from established tank to the 125. Also the only thing youll prob see is the new tank adjusting to its own levels. Im sure its levels wont settle at exactly the same as your current tank, other than that youll e fine
you know I just realized I have two 300 W heaters and my temperature actually is not at 78 anymore and staying at 72.5. Might have t0 get another one.

I have 2 200w heaters on my 125 and it seems ok

i had a 200w in my 75gal right next to my powerhead to spread the heated water around better and its a great setup, i put my thermometer on the opposite corner of the tank that i could tell the entire tank temp better IMO

i had a 200w in my 75gal right next to my powerhead to spread the heated water around better and its a great setup, i put my thermometer on the opposite corner of the tank that i could tell the entire tank temp better IMO
You think I should put it in the return part of my sump. I just started it all up and only have it in the tank right now. My plan was to put it into the fugue but if it's better in the return then I will do that.

You think I should put it in the return part of my sump. I just started it all up and only have it in the tank right now. My plan was to put it into the fugue but if it's better in the return then I will do that.

the fuge is a good place for it, so the water can have a chance to warm up a little bit at least before getting returned into the tank.

the fuge is a good place for it, so the water can have a chance to warm up a little bit at least before getting returned into the tank.
How long should it take to hear up a 135g. It has been circulating for about 18hrs with a few heaters in the tank. 2-300w and a 200W. The temp is only at 73.deg. Why is this taking so long. ?? Thinking my heater could be bad or something.

How long should it take to hear up a 135g. It has been circulating for about 18hrs with a few heaters in the tank. 2-300w and a 200W. The temp is only at 73.deg. Why is this taking so long. ?? Thinking my heater could be bad or something.

For a tank that size your gonna need at least 4 really good powerheads minimum and even at that, raising the temp in a tank that size could prove a tad difficult but definitely not impossible just time consuming.

Take a few gallon jugs and fill them with the hottest water you can (not boiling) then float them in the tank.

I have 2 300 w heaters in my tank. The primary one is the only one that cycles and keeps the tank warm. If it fails, the other will kick in about 1.5 deg cooler. I will notice the temp drop and replace the primary heater. So 2 300 w heaters should heat the tank. But don't rely on the temp scale on the heater. I find all 3 of mine are out if whack on the setting scale. I had to adjust them each in a bucket of water.

For a tank that size your gonna need at least 4 really good powerheads minimum and even at that, raising the temp in a tank that size could prove a tad difficult but definitely not impossible just time consuming.
I have 2 1800gph power heads and I have 1 250gph that I use for mixing salt. @huma I will try the hot water trick today. Right now the tank is at 72.3. I have to be doing something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom