20gal long frag tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcas3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there. I'm planning on starting a 20gal long frag tank. Only want to keep simple corals to propagate for my friends 75gal reef. I really would like some help making a supplies list. I would rather not have to incorporate a sump if I don't have to (trying to stay semi low on budget) any advice would help a lot!! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it is just going to be a frag tank, then you would simply just need to cycle a small tank. I would have some live rock laying down on the glass bottom and use egg crate to build the rack over this. Then you only need a simple power head and light, which the taotronics is always my suggestion due to being cheap and strong enough to keep any coral.

Thank you so much. And just to be clear. This might sound stupid so I don't need any filtration other than the live rock if I'm only going to be keeping corals?

Okay and then what about chemicals or dosing. All I want to keep is some softies.

There is no need to dose anything, just water changes to replace what is being used by the corals. And as long as you aren't feeding anything or have any fish in there, there shouldn't be any need for additional filtration.

I would probably add a single fish in there as well. Maybe a damsel of some sort. The fish poo feeds the corals as well.

I would probably add a single fish in there as well. Maybe a damsel of some sort. The fish poo feeds the corals as well.

If a fish was to be added, in a setup like a frag tank it should be as practical as the setup itself. The addition of a 6 line wrasse to address possible parasites coming into the system...but this would then mean filtration of some sort on the system.

Okay thank you. So how would I cycle the tank with nothing in it? Or could I take 20 gallons out of my buddies 75 gallon established tank? Or buy premixed water?

Water doesn't carry beneficial bacteria really, but some rubble or filter media from a cycled tank would help

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm going to take some live rock rubble from my friends refugium would that work?

How much ammonia

The standard that is accepted is 4ppm. Either that or use a cocktail shrimp in a mesh bag. The shrimp will decay releasing ammonia so when you stop getting readings of nitrite and ammonia then the tank is cycled.

Okay thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom