24 Gal Nano Deluxe or 29 Gal Biocube?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been on this community for a while...but before i was doing a 30 gal freshwater set up. It's been about a year or two and I am thinking about starting a new smaller tank as saltwater. I'm sure this is a new set of challenges that awaits me. I'm having trouble deciding which style and size of tank - very specifically I want a nano reef. I'm against buying any tank smaller than 20 gal because I've read on here less choices, harder to cycle/maintain/etc. I would love to get a Biocube (Coralife) 29 ideally...but they're a little too over my budget and I've heard some negative things about the parts being cheap and needing replaced. My question for that one is: Is it worth the money? My second choice is a smaller 24 Nano Deluxe i saw on Petsolutions.com....but i saw reviews that people had problems with the cooling fans and pump breaking in a time span of 2-5 months. And the filters and skimmer etc not having a cover on the back? That it was open? :( A gentleman stated it was a "money-trap"...and nobody wants those...but this tank was about $40 cheaper.

Another thing I would like advice on is my fish wish list (say that 3 times fast lol) here's what I've pieced together so far from Petco.com and giving no thought into any corals/critters yet (Let's save that for another day.)

-At least 1 (maybe 2?) Green Chromis
- 1 sand-sifting starfish (I hate snails...but do want a cleaning crew...)
- 1 Jewel Damsel (heard they can get ugly?)
-1 Filamented Wrasse

And i think that's all. Thanks in advanced for your help!

I would do the biocube, just my personal preference if you have to go all in one. I've never owned either tank as I'm more a fan of piecing everything together but the biocube seems to have more quality to it. Now onto the critters. Sand sifting stars are not a clean up crew member, they wipe the sandbed I beneficial critters than die. I'd skip it. The filamented wrasse needs a much longer tank as well. Use liveaquaria for tank size recommendations not petco. They have much more accurate recommendations.

That's what I originally wanted...hmm...starfish are hard to acclimate too...i thought shrimps but i don't want any getting eaten. XD Thanks for replying so fast! Lol it was a long one! Still I may wait and see what other people say. :)

If you decide against the all in one tanks I really like the footprint of a 20g long for a reef. A lot of fish like swimming along the tank and the slightly shallower style means lighting can be easier. Like the above poster I have never done an all in one because I too like building from scratch. A 20g can be easy to set up, you can just get a couple of powerheads and use your live rock for filtration (I run a 55 like this) weekly water changes will keep your water in check. Lighting for reefs is if course the expensive part :) and water, I recommend ro-di for a reef tank so that can be costly initially. Check out firefish (purple are my favorite) and plenty of gobies to choose from (I have a court jester, he's the best) cardinal fish are good too. Damsels can be mean and clownfish can be too so be wary of those...

Back
Top Bottom