24 hours into setting up Saltwater, advice please??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definately use RO, if you do everything else perfect and skimp on the RO water, basically your tank is buggered without using it. I've never used ammonia from a bottle, does it really make a difference?

I am really starting to rethink this saltwater thing cause the more I read on it and the more I hear from you guys on here the more annoyed I am becoming with it all.

Even if you go sweetwater you need to cycle your tank for the health of your fishy friends. Taking the time to set your tank up right will save a lot of work in the end.

I am really starting to rethink this saltwater thing cause the more I read on it and the more I hear from you guys on here the more annoyed I am becoming with it all.

Without being offensive but if this is how you're feeling now, maybe you should have looked into saltwater more before throwing saltwater into your tank and thinking that's it?

There's really nothing to be annoyed at and if you are, maybe you did make the wrong decision and should have just stayed with freshwater.

On the good side - you're half way there, just cycle your tank and you can start enjoying it, adding more rock, adding fish etc...

You should definitely use a RO/DI filter though, save algae blooms and such.

What L/H is your power head rated for? You need something like 10x your tank capacity in circulation, not necessarily just from the power head but from other sources too.

Do you have a skimmer running?

Have you looked into setting up a SUMP?

Hi tough cookie,
you are doing great so far, all you are feeling is normal. I started my tank in Jan 2011 and i been though it, but once done you'll be that much happy. only wish i had all these great people to help me then.

for starters try stabilizing your parameters. plz list all your hardware(filter, skimmer, powerheads etc,) on your tank under My Tanks in profile. its easy to reference back to know what you have.

Picture speaks 1000 words, try posting some.

Just hang in there you are doing great so far.:)

It's all cool :)

I am not as frustrated as it might have sounded just a little disappointed in myself. I have everything at the right levels and doing good and holding strong. I am just taking one day at a time and patiently waiting with just seashells, sand, and live rocks in there. along with one large snail.

Isn't sand just sand made LIVE by the organisms that live in it.

Like Rock is just pours rock until it's made live by organisms.

Lol

I get your point but, live rock is kept in vats of water to keep the organisms alive where as "live" sand is just bagged up and stored away, most if not all of the organisms in the sand would die off.

True enough! But wash the sand and put in the tank. Live rock will re-seed it and make it live again. :)

Yes it will become live again, but if youre paying for something to be liveand its not itdoesnt seem to make sense to pay extra imo. Especially when any sand you put in will become live.

Right, ocean sand is way overpriced.
But using playground or Any regular sand you run the risk of having contaminants that would leach out.
This way u get ocean sand, try finding a sale.

Oh hold on... But tough cookie already have the sand in the tank.

I've used both "live" sand, regular sand and pool filter sand. i can't say I noticed a difference in any of them except color and grain size. I used the live sand because i wanted the pink fiji colored sand that didnt come "non" live. LOL

the tank is doing wonderful.. I have had a damsel in it for the past week and it is doing great. the ammonia levels is great, and so is hydrometer level. The live sand is turning a dark brown on top for some reason though I don't quite get, I guess it just does that. but everything is great.. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom