24g with pygmy angel - can I add more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billtw1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i had to down size so now stuck with 24 gallon reef. i added a orange spot goby and small pygmy picked on him so bad i had to take it back before it got killed. wanting to get possiby orange stripe goby or something. am wondering if this will continue to be a problem such that i may have to get rid of pygmy so i can add a fish. any advice appreciated.

I have a whitetail pygmy angelfish and it gets along with the other fish I have fine. The pygmy was a little aggressive towards some of the fish until they each established their areas (lasted about 2 days) since then no problems what so ever. I think with any angel you have to have fish that will stick up for them selves. I did have a goby and the Pygmy messed with its tail constantly. Here are the fish I have if you are looking for ideas.

Blood Red Fire Shrimp (shares a cave with the angel fish, fun to watch)
Kaudern’s Cardinalfish (angel won’t even go near him)
Ocellaris Clownfish (fought a little at the beginning)
White tailed Pygmy Angelfish
Royal Gramma (fought a little at the beginning)

It's just defendig it's teritory, which in a 24 gallon tank is the entire tank.
Do you have a QT tank? You could then QT the angel for a few days/week while the goby gets established and finds a home. Then yuo try adding the angel back. It will then be then new fish. It's not a guarantee, but shaking things up often works.

What other livestock is in the tank?
How much LR do you have?

pygmy angel

have bicolor blennie, 2 small yellow clown gobies, small hifin banded gobie,cleaner and tiny sexy shrimp. most were added after angel and he never bothered any of them, and doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom