260w pc overkill for fowlr?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just upgraded my 20g to a 55g. I'm stuck on the lighting. This is a FOWLR tank, and i'm unsure what to get. I was originally thinking about the coralife 4x65w pc, the one with the moon lights in it, but thats gonna be pushing 5wpg for a tank that doesn't have corals. The main thing to me is that the whole tank gets lit up nice and bright, no dead spots, and the coralline can grow. If NO lights can do this, then thats fine with me. I was mostly looking at the pc light because of the built in moonlights and i could use the legs to raise it off the top (i'm running an open top). If you suggest NO light, what exactly do I go for so I can run 10k and actinic lights nice and bright? Or should I just get the coralife?

Fish will easily adapt, but corals will never adapt well to less light. You say it is Fowlr for now, but in the future you may take a new direction. So if you can afford it and really think that there might be a chance to add a coral in the future, then I would go witht he big light, not to mention it makes your fish smarter. Ok just brighter.

I have that same pc on my 75 gal, I dont think the fish mind the light and the yellow polyps, octopus leather and devils hand are doing well but I had to put them in the middle they didnt like it up close...

the 4x65watt fixture will be great for your FOWLR. It will also give you the option of adding corals in the future.

Maybe a T5 lamp

I've been seriously considering a Nova Extreme T5 for my 55G. $199 and 216 watts. You get an electronic ballast, fans, 216 watts of light and white LEDs plus legs for about $50 to $75 less for the Coralife.

Course most places have it backorded right now.

Here is the thing though, you say get the pc in case I "choose to get corals in the future." Well, buying, selling, importing, etc. of corals or any foreign live plant/animal blah blah is illegal in Hawaii. So short of me picking them out of the ocean or somehow smuggling them in, then yes, I am 100% sure that I am not going to be going with a reef tank. Do you still suggest getting the pc now?

I would say do it. Coralife pc's are what I have and my fish look beautifull under them. the lighting is for your enjoyment too and really makes everything pop, I'd say it would be a good thing for a FOWLR

808 said:
Here is the thing though, you say get the pc in case I "choose to get corals in the future." Well, buying, selling, importing, etc. of corals or any foreign live plant/animal blah blah is illegal in Hawaii. So short of me picking them out of the ocean or somehow smuggling them in, then yes, I am 100% sure that I am not going to be going with a reef tank. Do you still suggest getting the pc now?

maybe you can go with cheaper lighting then... But as Scottm said the colors on the fish will be more intense... I lit my tank with regular lighting then with the pc and there is no comparison...I say get the pc's anyway to bring out the colors in the fish.

I have a strip NO light on my 55 and I get great colors out of the URO bulbs. I have 2x40 watt bulbs. URI makes great bulbs I am running 1 super actinic and 1 white actinic. Its the bulbs that makes a difference so see if you can get URI bulbs. I had regular FW bulbs in the light when I first used it and what a difference the URI bulbs made.

You can get moon lights all over the place so you can add them later..

I would suggest looking at a t-5 unit. You can get a fixture with 2 t-5 plus moonlights for 50.00. That would be plenty bright enough for any fish only tank.

Where would be a good place to look for these t-5 units or URI bulbs? Sounds like this could be the lighting for me...unfortunately i'm not up to date on all these different lighting types. If i can use daylight and actinic lights on these, sounds like this might be the light for me. Sounds like these could be had for a nice price too, which is always a plus!

Back
Top Bottom