28 Gallon SW Build...hopefully...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok,

I realize I just went on a 20 page blurb on a 120 gal build and things fell through cause my GF car blew up. But...I have a tank lying around the house and I still want to have some sort of saltwater tank with corals and cool litte creatures.

Now for something this scale I was trying to get an idea of what to use and I read through Careys rimless build. Here's what I took away from it...i think, lots of reading and my eyes now hurt...

1. Looks like an AC filter is the way to go(possibly a DIY refugium???) Which AC filter would you recommend???

2. HOB skimmer, probably the one by octopus rated for 60 gallons???

3. Not sure on lights, would like to have zero limitations on livestock....(T5's - more color variations??? or MH's???)

4. Hopefully have a nice 3 inch white sand bed

5. Order rock from Reef Cleaners - heard they are usually the best.

I've heard that usually bigger is better, but i think this would be a good starting point in figuring out the basics to SW/Reef Care.

Thanks again...sorry for all the posts and no real results...but I do promise a big build in the future...lol...

:thanks:

aquaclear will you you just fine. The AC70 is modded really well for a fuge too. A skimmer I'm only planning cause this will be a coral tank with not a lot of fish bioload and I might wanna go super SPS stuff, depending on what I like and decide on.

A 28 isnt that bad to start with, it's like a nano cube. :) My first SW tank was only 29g

I've never really done any sort of modding to a filter, is it hard to do?

I would also like to have no limitations on corals as well, this tank will be mostly critters (shrimp, crabs, and what not) and clown fish (if i'm allowed to, tank size wise, been my favorite fish even before nemo, since i was like 5)

Carey - What lights would you suggest, any paticular brand? I would like the variations of colors and to have them really pop, kinda like you see on Liveaquaria.

Led's are the way to go but pricey. How wide is the tank? Do you need 24" lights? I can go on a quick search

Yes, its a 24 inch wide tank. It's a Marineland 28 gal Euro Bow front tank.

Well the lights hsould be readily available at that size thats the good news. The bad news is they cost $$. lol Do you have a budget in mind? Do you want clams and nems or just corals? SPS corals in your future? I was eying a 6 bulb fixture for my 20g ;-)

I would like zero limitations...I was reading about your 6 bulb fixture...was it the current nova fixture?

I don't mind the money portion, I will probably do my purchases over time, cause i'll need substrate, but thats like 30 bucks, rock (not sure how many lbs...30-40lbs? (100 bucks for 50 on reef cleaners) AC70 filter is 35 on amazon (or should i go bigger?) Need an RO/DI unit, probably get the one you have (65-85 bucks)

I figure that just to get up and running, and while my tank is cycling I would be able to get the other items...Skimmer...HOB Octopus (124.00), PH's (not sure which ones) and then lights (200-300???)

Here are some lights that would work out

Current USA 24" Sundial T-5 Fixture 4x24W + LED - AquaCave

24" Current USA Outer Orbit 1x250W 10,000K HQI-MH w/ 4x24W T5 HO & 12 Lunar Lights* - AquaCave
AquaticLife T5 HO 6-Lamp Light Fixture w/ Lunar LEDs

I would recommend 2 425 or 2 550 koralias, your choice. 550 might be a tad tiny bit too much but I think the 425's are underpowered. :)

I would add about 50lbs of rock that should be good. And the ac70 is huge if you dont have one. Why it makes such a great fuge I think. lol

So if i make it a fuge, do i set it up like a regular fuge? Sand, rock, cheato?

Wow...didn't realize even the smaller lights are expensive. Hmmmm...guess i'll have to save a few bucks extra...

Thats lighting links if you want a serious light. If you want one that will grow most corals you can get away cheaper. :)

I dont have the link, but if you search ac70 fuge on utube I think it'sll have what your looking for.

Understandable, it's basically just a matter of me putting away a 100 bucks a week and getting one that I wont have to worry about, that aquatic life one is looking pretty sweet though.

How do you guys service your tanks when you have a light like that? Do you remove the light everytime?

28 gallon SW/REEF tank is a great start i have been running a 30 gallon tank for about 8 months and just now purchased a LED reef light and i am going to start converting it into a reef tank. i didnt read your last thread so i am not sure how much experience you have in sw etc. But from my experience and reading a mind boggling about of literature on fish, reef, and everything else involved in this hobby patience is the best virtue.( lol) IMO Start off with the essentials :
Api SW/Reef testing kit
2-3lb of Dry Rock per gallon (BRS is nice, luckily i have a LFS and didnt have to pay for shipping), 40-50lb+ of Dry Sand.
Pure ammonia( for a more accurate way to cycle)
RO unit is awesome but i never needed one thus far. ( i have good water or you can use store bought distilled water).
I read about the AC mod to make it a fuge and its not too hard i actually starting modding one myself to sustain copepod growth. ( but i might not get a mandarin anymore lol)
Heater of Choice
Protein Skimmer of Choice
As for lighting hold off until you can afford something you will be happy with and that works efficiently there nothing worse than making a big expenditure and it not working right. + there is alot of reading involved if you want a LED make sure your doing it all right. Anyways GOODLUCK

Thats awesome i really appreciate the advice. Could you tell me the dimensions of the AC 70...i want to make sure it will fit in the tank cause it has a center brace.

Also i have 36 bow front that houses a green spotted puffer. Would you recommend this over the 28? Its a 30 inch wide tank and i tried searching for lighting and there wasnt much selection...any ideas...sorry for being all road. Oh and i would move the GSP to another tank...FYI.

Coming along nicely. You should have your gear next week. :)

What about powerheads? You got a heater and testing equipment already?

Test equipment is next along with PH...you said either 425's or 525's?

Back
Top Bottom