3 questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotskate

Aquarium Advice Freak
okay whats an actic light what is it used for ? do i need to change the light bulbs i have i have whatever came in the fixture its the 48inch triple tube by AGA ? and i was looking in the gallery and i see some pics of LR and the shapes and fetures it has i havent ever seen only in tank pics form you guys did u guys make i your selves and let it cure? like the ones with the caves or wholes to put things in etc etc ?

TIA :lol:

Atinic lighting has a blue tint that is pleasing to the eye and can bring out many more colors than regular white or yellow lighting.

Do you need to change the lighting? Do you mean how often do you change the bulbs or do you need to upgrade to more powerful lighting?

#2 lol i know when i have to replace it when it buirns out imnot realy doign a reef tank

Actinic is actually a specific light spectrum - of around 420 nm (nanometers). True actinic lighting has been proven to be very usefull in stimulating coral zooxanthellae..

Beware that there are many "blue" bulbs which are labeled *actinic*. which are not true actinic spectrum bulbs.

do i need to change the light bulbs i have i have whatever came in the fixture its the 48inch triple tube by AGA ?

Probably, if you are going to have a reef tank. I'm assuming that the bulbs which came in your hood are NO lights - these are sufficient for a FO tank, but not a reef tank.

Hard to tell what that is from the pictures. Possible just die-off from the rock.

FWIW, my LR also went through a "white encrusting" phase. It then began to grow coralline algae over the white after about a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom