30 Gallon Low-Tech Setup, by bruinsbro1997 (if it'll even work!:))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
huma-huma said:
the est filter media wont work if its from a fw tank:(
and the evaporation is with all tanks, and even beyond that , its just physics that any body of water exposed to some sort of heat or humidity will lose water to evaporation.
sw is just like fw in terms of pwc's, some people do them every week, some do it every 2 weeks...some even longer. that is strictly based on the needs and circumstances for each tank

Oh pooey. Guess I'll ask the LFS for some then. Just a question...why doesn't it work?

If it's just a pair of ocellaris clowns and bottom dweller along with inverts and corals do you think I'll be able to get away with water changes once a week?

youll more than likely do pwc's more frequently as the tanks new, once it gets a mature establishment, youll be able to slow down on pwc's and as grizz mentioned, the bacteria are different. if you take the fw media and place it in the sw tank, itll kill off the bcteria becuase they are not able to survive the sw

huma-huma said:
youll more than likely do pwc's more frequently as the tanks new, once it gets a mature establishment, youll be able to slow down on pwc's and as grizz mentioned, the bacteria are different. if you take the fw media and place it in the sw tank, itll kill off the bcteria becuase they are not able to survive the sw

Ah okay. Will PWC every day when it's cycling and when I add the first new fish be fine?

Do you think I should ask the LFS for some seeded media???

Mjpendrey said:
I'd just wait out the cycle that way at least you know your not getting anything bad!

Okay! I'm probably starting in a week or two and let it cycle during school. Keep you guys updated!

Btw what did people think about the corals I chose out? Can anyone answer my anemone question? Thanks :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Okay! I'm probably starting in a week or two and let it cycle during school. Keep you guys updated!

Btw what did people think about the corals I chose out? Can anyone answer my anemone question? Thanks :)

I have a sebae anemone with my pair of maroon clowns hosting it and everythings been fine. My tank had nay been setup for a month before I got it. It's been a month and a half since I put him in. My lighting is not even the best but it hasn't bleached or anything. I think the reason why people say they are hard to keep is because they can move around and sting your other coral, and if they die and you don't catch it, everything in your tank dies.

slitherbomb said:
I have a sebae anemone with my pair of maroon clowns hosting it and everythings been fine. My tank had nay been setup for a month before I got it. It's been a month and a half since I put him in. My lighting is not even the best but it hasn't bleached or anything. I think the reason why people say they are hard to keep is because they can move around and sting your other coral, and if they die and you don't catch it, everything in your tank dies.

Anemones move??? I thought they just stayed in place. They sting coral with their tentacles or something??? Why does everything die if it dies?

bruinsbro1997 said:
Anemones move??? I thought they just stayed in place. They sting coral with their tentacles or something??? Why does everything die if it dies?

Yeah, anemones move until they find a spot they like. After that they move if they want to go somewhere different. Mine has stayed put whereever I put him though. And yeah they sting coral with their tentacles and can kill them. And they release massive amounts of ammonia when they die.

slitherbomb said:
Yeah, anemones move until they find a spot they like. After that they move if they want to go somewhere different. Mine has stayed put whereever I put him though. And yeah they sting coral with their tentacles and can kill them. And they release massive amounts of ammonia when they die.

Mmmmmm....maybe I should wait until the tank is established? Or can I add it I'm first and then the clowns?

I would add it first just so it can choose a place to it's liking, and then you won't have to worry about your other coral.

slitherbomb said:
I would add it first just so it can choose a place to it's liking, and then you won't have to worry about your other coral.

Ah okay. Should I add the coral before or after the anemone? What type is commonly available and under 50$ that you would recommend? I am not ready for a really sensitive anemone yet...oh and would they hurt other fish? I know they don't hurt clowns but what about the others

bruinsbro1997 said:
Ah okay. Should I add the coral before or after the anemone? What type is commonly available and under 50$ that you would recommend? I am not ready for a really sensitive anemone yet...oh and would they hurt other fish? I know they don't hurt clowns but what about the others

My other fish don't really get near it so idk. The type of anemone to get really depends on your clowns. I got a sebae anemone and it's been really easy taking care of him. Another one might be a bubble tipped anemone which are nice. As far as adding coral, you can add coral before, but just be prepared to move them if your anemone gets too close.

slitherbomb said:
My other fish don't really get near it so idk. The type of anemone to get really depends on your clowns. I got a sebae anemone and it's been really easy taking care of him. Another one might be a bubble tipped anemone which are nice. As far as adding coral, you can add coral before, but just be prepared to move them if your anemone gets too close.

Okay. I'm getting ocellaris clowns, what anemone would you suggest? I think I'll add the zoas mushrooms and leathers after it settles down.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Okay. I'm getting ocellaris clowns, what anemone would you suggest? I think I'll add the zoas mushrooms and leathers after it settles down.

You can do bubble tip anemone, or carpet anemone. There is a chance however that it may not host it. My maroons seemed like they would never host my sebae, but one night I found the male playing around in it and then 2 days later the female went inside too. It's really a hit or miss.

There is no guarantee that a clown will host ANY anenome, it's hit or miss.

I would strongly suggest NOT getting an anenome first thing. They require an established tank, pristine water and high lighting.

I bought an anenome early on and ended up returning it, too much worry that it would sting my corals and eat my fish, which it can do.

carey said:
There is no guarantee that a clown will host ANY anenome, it's hit or miss.

I would strongly suggest NOT getting an anenome first thing. They require an established tank, pristine water and high lighting.

I bought an anenome early on and ended up returning it, too much worry that it would sting my corals and eat my fish, which it can do.

It can eat your fish? Whoa didn't know that! Maybe I'll skip it. Is there a possible alternative to an anemone?

Are candy cane corals fine in low to medium light setups?

Well clowns will host many things, so anything that looks like an anemone can be a host to it. They will even host mushrooms and rocks lol.

Back
Top Bottom