30 Gallon Low-Tech Setup, by bruinsbro1997 (if it'll even work!:))

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
slitherbomb said:
Well clowns will host many things, so anything that looks like an anemone can be a host to it. They will even host mushrooms and rocks lol.

Rocks? Maybe I should just build some sort of ornament for them to host.

carey said:
Clowns are also just as likely to host a flowy looking coral as they are an anenome. Mine hosted my elegance coral, BUT while it was cool to see they almost killed the coral. :-(

Candycanes are a medium light coral I believe and moderate flow.

Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Trumpet Coral

They almost killed the coral! Wow this is lots more complicated than I used to think it'd be. Will check out the link when I get home, my phone is retarded and is not showing it!

Yeah, the clowns rub against whatever they are hosting so they can injure the coral or themselves if there are sharp edges to the coral, like on the base.

I ended up having to give away my beautiful aussie elegance to save it....

carey said:
Yeah, the clowns rub against whatever they are hosting so they can injure the coral or themselves if there are sharp edges to the coral, like on the base.

I ended up having to give away my beautiful aussie elegance to save it....

Aye! Well I will just have to see how it goes then. Hope the clowns and coral get along...

Also how do you add a coral to the tank? Do you put it in the substrate like you would a plant?

Most corals can be placed where you want as long as it's appropriate ie: lighting & flow. I have my favites brain corals on the substrate and my mushrooms as well. I have my candycanes mid tank level just sitting on a rock. :)

carey said:
Most corals can be placed where you want as long as it's appropriate ie: lighting & flow. I have my favites brain corals on the substrate and my mushrooms as well. I have my candycanes mid tank level just sitting on a rock. :)

What does lighting and flow mean? Do they root onto the rock? Sorry for asking these questions I'm just a total noob at this :)

The lighting is just the light fixture you have. The zoomed one you mentioned should be go for low to medium light coral. The flow is the flow. You need power heads in the aquarium for flow.

Corals each have different requirements as far as lighting and flow.

Mushrooms don't like alot of light so i put mine on the bottom under an overhang kinda. SPS on the other hand need high light so I place them higher up in my tank.

Some corals can spread onto rock like zooas, I have several I had on frag plugs and they have overtaken the plug and are now growing onto the rock the plug was on. :)

So, no, I don't think they root per se, they are almost always moveable by you.

You can check out the requirements for many corals here:

Saltwater Reef Aquariums: Live Coral for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums

carey said:
Corals each have different requirements as far as lighting and flow.

Mushrooms don't like alot of light so i put mine on the bottom under an overhang kinda. SPS on the other hand need high light so I place them higher up in my tank.

Some corals can spread onto rock like zooas, I have several I had on frag plugs and they have overtaken the plug and are now growing onto the rock the plug was on. :)

So, no, I don't think they root per se, they are almost always moveable by you.

You can check out the requirements for many corals here:

Saltwater Reef Aquariums: Live Coral for Saltwater Coral Reef Aquariums

Thank you Carey! I will check the link out. What are SPS? When you mean flow do you mean surface disruption or filter flow?

slitherbomb said:
The lighting is just the light fixture you have. The zoomed one you mentioned should be go for low to medium light coral. The flow is the flow. You need power heads in the aquarium for flow.

Oh okay nevermind the question about flow then. Are powerheads absolutely necessary? Is there any other way to make flow?

I would def recommend powerheads, its not only for the coral but for your live rock too. The more water circulation you have the less likely you will have dead spots where things accumulate like uneaten food and other things.

You get flow from the sump return and/or filters as well but nothing like you'd get from a powerhead

yeah since you are diving into sw you mineaswell get used to powerheads.. theres rarely a way around them. ive seen people go a few days without them but they are a necessity in the long run.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Okay, will get powerheads. Are there any that are under 50 dollars or possibly 30? I'm on a spending limit here...

Check eBay. I got 2 1300gph ph for $24 and 2 800gph ph for $31. I would look for less gph though lol

Back
Top Bottom