33g reef help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

checkvalve

Aquarium Advice Regular
First off, let me explain why the tank of choice. I am in a wheelchair and anything taller will be to hard to reach into.
This will be my first attempt with SW, I have keept freshwater for years with success. I understend proper husbandry, water conditions and so-on.

1. Filtration, powerheads, skimmers and such---- what is reliable and effective for this size?
2. Substraite?
3. With this small of an ecosystem, what fish would you advise?

Thanks, Ty

I'm not a reefer, but I wanted to say WELCOME to AA!!

Thanks, I mostly lurk around in the freshwater forum and this is my 1st post here.

For that size tank an AquaC Remora or a CPR Bak Pak 2 will work well. Other filtration can be all natural with LR. You can supliment with mechanical/chemical filtration but its not needed IMO. I would suggest using 1 power head with a wave unit like a SCWD. Adding other PH for flow if needed depending on the coral your going to use.

Lighting is something you didnt mention, what do you plan on using?

I would go with a sand substrate.

You can stock clowns, basslets, wrasses, chromis, as well as many more. You can try a dwarf angel if you wish.

Did you have a certain fixture in mind? Lighting is very important when puting together a reef tank. Your lighting and flow will determine what you can house in the tank.

I'd stay away from angels. The key word above is "try". It's hit or miss with them attacking/nibbling on corals. Even though dwarf varieties are not known to nibble, sometimes they can develop an appetites for it later I'v heard. Basslets get big too i believe and can be harmful to smaller fish.

Substitute gobies for basslets IMO. Also, blennies would work.

AquaC Remora with surface skimmer gets my vote. The Bak Pak is too noisy IMO.

Look at 4x65 power compact units. You can do a decent variety of soft corals I believe with those.

I agree with the noise issue on the BakPak. Im not sure if it can be fixed by replacing the pump?

I would suggest a pair a clowns (everyone loves clownfish!), a firefish and a sixline wrasse. Maybe a school of 3 green chromis later on IF ur filtration is sufficient.

HTH

thank you all 4 the help.....it will be put to good use, unfortunately my tanks are not going to be here till the middle of june

"tanks"??

Gonna have MTS (multiple tank syndrome :wink:) from the start, eh?

What part of the country you hailing from anyway? Maybe someone in your area might be able to give a hand.

Anyway, you got some time to do some thinking and planning. That's a good thing.

Good luck.

Welcome to AA :D

liveaquaria.com’s nano fish section would be a good start trying to stick with 3-6 of these smaller fish depending on size and trying to stick to a total adult length of 6”-8” for the start and once your tank matures (6+ months) consider adding one or two more smaller fish.

Is your 33 gal tank going to be “reef ready” meaning it has built in overflows? If you haven’t bought it already I would highly consider one with built in overflows which would make adding a sump much easier.

Especially since you’re in a wheelchair and access to the tank will be limited. You could do all your pwc from the sump below the tank and with a good clean up crew (hermits/snails/shrimp) your in-tank maintenance would be minimal.

Since you’re new to keeping a SW tank then checkout my ”Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank” post that has all the equipment listed that you will need and maintenance tips to help you enjoy your SW tank. It’s a long read but will help answer all the basic questions.

More helpful info:

If looking for cheap live rock checkout intmarinefish.com which has lr for as little as $3-$4 per lb shipped.

Couple of more places with quality lr:
www.liverocknreef.com
www.liveaquaria.com
www.tampabaysaltwater.com

For base rock checkout www.hirocks.com

Great post on feeding requirements of SW fish.

For formatting images/text/links checkout the BBCode Guide

Filling out your button by updating your button (scroll about half way) will help provide the necessary equipment list and fish/inverts so people can better answer any questions you might have. Also while in the profile screen if you want to see signatures you have to check it as it’s off by default.

Lastly to quickly search the posts you have made I would bookmark your egosearch.

Thanks again yall, I'm from burrrrr chilly Fairbanks Alaska. Moved up here 3 years ago, ready to move to WARMER climate, 3 months of summer stinks.

Let me add, yall been really great with the help and all, thats why I'm glad I found this place

Back
Top Bottom