34 Gallon Solana Tank Build!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaysreefworld

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to pick up tank later tonight or in the morning. I plan on making this my high end tank. With rare corals and fish. It will be a mixed reef and will only hold 4 fish (I'll get to those later).

Lighting- I plan to go with nano al sol fixture
Skimmer- I hear the one that comes with tank is a lil noisy so I'll be using hydro koralia nano internal skimmer
Ato- tunze osmolator
Rock- ill be going with real reef rock and another type to get a good arch look

Now for the interesting part the fish
Gold assessor basslet
Dracula goby
Premium snowflake clowns ( still tryin to decide if I want a pair or just one)
Anybody with any suggestions please help. I'll post pics later of tank

Hello! I will follow along this build and see if I can contribute anything useful. :)

Congrats on your new tank.

I say that you get one Snowflake with another kinds of Ocellaris (maybe a Black Ice or Midnight). There are many options. :)

Okay thanks, my LFS should have it ready in the morning, I'm ready to pick it up now tho. And I really like the black ice clowns so that would be a good idea.

Have you heard anything about the nano al sol fixtures?

I'm sorry, I have don't know much about that kind of lighting. :( However, on the forum there is a great member named Doug (mr_X) who knows a great deal about lighting. He may be able to help. :)

Ok just picked up tank and it's dirty!!! My LFS was using it as an anemone tank.

image-2282853332.jpg

image-3866927507.jpg

image-2276904956.jpg

image-3162257890.jpg

My next step is soaking in water and white distilled vinegar overnight.

Got tank soaking!! Has anyone had any experience with a sit in the back skimmer?

Cool tank, rimless is always nice! (y)

I currently have an in-tank skimmer in my 125g, and have great results with it. I would definitely recommend it, it is the Eshopps psk-150. If you wanted one for your tank you would have to get a much smaller one like the psk-75 (PSK_150 | ESHOPPS - Manufacturer of Aquarium Filtrations).

Not sure if it would fit in your back compartment, however.

Redsea I was actually looking at those last night I just gonna have to check the size. And I love rimless tanks but im probably gonna build a net top so I can hold some real high end fish and not worry about jumpers!!!

Redsea I was actually looking at those last night I just gonna have to check the size. And I love rimless tanks but im probably gonna build a net top so I can hold some real high end fish and not worry about jumpers!!!

That is a very smart idea. Some fish like Clownfish are not normally classified as jumpers, but trust me, they will. :lol:

When spending lots of money on clowns you may want to let your tank run with less expensive fish that you want for awhile before adding. If you end up losing a $20 fish you will be glad that it was nor one of your $50 fish

Got it clean late last night, alot of hard work. Next step I'll be going to pick up 40lbs of real reef rock and probably about 30lbs of sand. I order the hydor skim nano and tunze top off last night also.

Anyone have any more suggestions on fish? What should I cycle with? I'll probably won't keep. What it is tho.

And I'm starting to change my mind about lighting. I'm hearing the al sol nano is good but not strong enough to grow some hard sps.

I would recommend cycling without fish. :) You can use a dead shrimp or pure ammonia (remember ammonia can be harmful to humans too). When the tank can push through 2-4ppm of ammonia in twenty-four hours, the tank is cycled.

You don't recommend using dr tims or one of the other cycling formulas?

What's a good return pump to use? I wanna use all new stuff looking at the equipment that comes with the solana.

Jaysreefworld said:
You don't recommend using dr tims or one of the other cycling formulas?

What's a good return pump to use? I wanna use all new stuff looking at the equipment that comes with the solana.

I have actually never used that product before. I know that some people really like bacteria starters, but others don't.

For my 125g aquarium, I am currently using a pump by Rio. I am pleased with it so far and would buy another one.

Back
Top Bottom