35 gallon tall reef beginner. Please help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a snowflake and a black and white and they were expensive! Like $100 together! Hopefully they make some nice babies that will sell ffor a lot lol

Should i go cultured live rock or dry live rock to speed up the establishment process.

Well, dry rock isn't live so it wouldn't help speed it up at all, but I would go with a lot of dry rock and some live rock to seed it.

Yep, buy like 80% of dead rock and 20% of live rock and the dead rock will become live rock over time. Also saves you a boatload of cash. :)

Okay, 2 more questions, best site for dry rock? and best site for nano types?

I use reefcleaner.org, they are a sponsor site and they will accomadate your size requests on dry rock. At least they have for me in the past.

Would the Bak-Pak 2 protein skimmer be suitable for my tank?
(35 gal. tall)
and does anyone wanna sell me one for cheap :p

I have a CPR hob protein skimmer haning on my empty 55 collecting dust..but idk how close to pa you are

Got 2 damsels today. I slow drip acclimated them for about an hour before I stuck them in their. They seem to be doing fine and didn't have any problems fitting in to their new tank. I got them to top off my now 6 week old cycle. My lfs man sold them for 4 a piece. I know the tank isn't large enough for full grown damsels, their only going to be in their for about 2-3 weeks to prep my tank for stocking. My lfs store will give me a full refund when I return them. I thought that was pretty nice. :p ill keep you updated on the damsels as long as I have them. Protein Skimmers gonna bbe here tommorow Woot! Please send advice this way thanks!

Sorry about the picture quality phone doesn't have the greatest camera

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110721_192747.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110721_192747.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 312
  • ForumRunner_20110721_192830.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110721_192830.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 341
Just bought more LR today.
My lfs had super porous dry rock that he sold me well over 10 lbs for only 5 $ (he through me a deal because I bought new t5 lighting cause my dog destroyed my old lighting fixture.
Just wanted to throw up a pick. Send advice this way please.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110726_114552.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110726_114552.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 284
  • ForumRunner_20110726_115007.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110726_115007.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 266
Nice looking dry rock. Try placing the new rock under the live rock. Does speed up seeding.
I hope u do plan to return the damsels once the tank is good to go.

Thanks for the advice ill deffinitly try that!
And of course I will return them to the LFS. When he first offered them to me I was hesitant (everything I've read has been against this) but he wanted me to see how the fish acted and behaved since I had no previous Saltwater experience. Again they seem healthy as can be and are scheduled to go home when I order my pair of clowns. Advice always appreciated good or bad.

You should only return the damsels if they are acting aggressive. Every fish has it's own personality. I've had a chromis, that are supposed to be peaceful, be the most aggressive fish in my tank.

I only have a 33-35g tank. In the long-term that wont be any where near suitable for the size of full grown damsels.

newbjank said:
What's the fish to gallon ratio again?

Its hard to say, depends on so many things.For less than 33 gallons I go with 3 gallons per inch. But still depends on what fish and how much swimming room u have. A big factor is you, the care and knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom