35 yrs out dated / suggestions for ebooks about filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MonkeyMonk86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking for the best ebook to explain the current saltwater filtration processes. 35 yrs ago we had under gravel filters and an algae wall. We might have had a standard HOB filter, too. The forceps fish helped with keeping algae in good shape along with cleaning only 3 sides.

I'm so outdated. I need to read about all these new things like RO and protein skimmers and.... And also all the new lighting and systems ( like CO2 ) available.

Can anyone suggest some good ebooks? ( doctor days with mom are endless and there is ample time for reading ebooks)

Thanks in advance!!!

im not sure about ebooks but if your just looking at general info I love to watch mr saltwater tank tv.. you can go to his website or just go to youtube.. guy has a ton of info and is comes up with quick tips every couple of days

I'm looking for the best ebook to explain the current saltwater filtration processes. 35 yrs ago we had under gravel filters and an algae wall. We might have had a standard HOB filter, too. The forceps fish helped with keeping algae in good shape along with cleaning only 3 sides.

I'm so outdated. I need to read about all these new things like RO and protein skimmers and.... And also all the new lighting and systems ( like CO2 ) available.

Can anyone suggest some good ebooks? ( doctor days with mom are endless and there is ample time for reading ebooks)

Thanks in advance!!!

Being an old timer myself ( I started keeping marines in 1972) I can tell you that the machines for keeping the fish may have changed but the principles are still the same. Change the UG for a wet/ dry system. They are much cleaner to work with and instead of collecting the detritus under a plate, it collects it out of the tank ( and into the sump) where it can easily be removed. UV sterilization is a biggy still. Especially if you are doing lots of fish. R/O water seems to be necessary if you are planning on keeping and raising corals and anemones. Fish only tanks can be maintained with clean ( 0 nitrates) tap water. Lighting will be determined by what you are keeping. Again, corals and nems need better lighting than fish only.
The big change seems to be using live rock instead of crushed coral as a substrate for the biological. Both do the same but the rock will add decor as well as hiding places for the fish and places to position corals closer to the lights if you go that way.

I had to smile when I read your comment about algae walls. I spent years promoting algae growth to my customers because it made the water and the fish's diet so much healthier. Today, it has been replaced with a separate area either in a sump or a separate tank called a "refugium". They can call it whatever fancy name they want but it's all just an algae farming place to reduce nitrates naturally. :brows: Just like the old days, "Crappy water in, good water out." (y)

As for ebooks, sorry, I don't know of any. :( You may want to follow threads by people like Mr.X and GregCoyote. They have been doing it for a long time as well. You might also want to just Google the filters and machines you don't know about just to read up on them. (I'd stay away from the sites that sell them and stick to ones that just explain them. That's just me ;)) Just keep in mind that if you were successful at keeping the fish 35 years ago, the same biological principles apply today. Don't fall for the hype. :nono: As my friends who are in the biz still tell me" Nothing is better than in the old days, we just use different things today to do it." (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you both for answering. I do have a better idea of what is going on after reading your responses. I will go look for that website and add it to my home screen. I was surfing YouTube but it has been hit or miss finding good ones. I asked about classes at the LSaltwaterFS and they just do 1 on 1. So, I'm very grateful for the link to good info and videos. Thank you both ever so much!!!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom