38 gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would this be too much for a 38 gallon tank or just slightly overcrowded:
3 acares reef chromis (max size 2 inches)
4 firefish
2 ocellaris clownfish

Oh, nothing wrong with it per se, just thought you might like some diversity. lol It's your tank and if you like firefish then by all means go for it! :)

Ok thanks. I was starting to think that the tank was too small and I'm on a budget but I really want all those fish.

The ones you picked out are not large and should be just fine. The firefish and chromis will be the active middle water fish while the clowns will most liekly find a corner soemwhere and hang out there. At least thats been my experience with clowns. lol

I happen to have a firefish and really like him, he is always out and about. The chromis are a good choice too as they are hardy, cheapo and always active as well. :)

I wouldnt go with anymore fish unless you consider bottom dwellers like gobies as you will have a good amount of fish already. If it were me I would get a bottom dweller too, shrimp gobies can form relationships with pistol shrimp, it's awesome to see. The goby will bring food to the shrimp and they take care of each other. They dont swim around much but it is one of those things in nature that is great to watch. Just more options for you. 38g isn't a huge tank but it can house a good amount of livestock if you think it all out well.

Good luck! let us know how it turns out!

Just asking but a green mandarin would be too much right? If I were to get one though it would probably be after a year though after I'm absolutely positive the tank is cycled.

mandarins are tough, most dont make it in home aquaria unfortunately. They almost always eat pods and you need alot of rockwork and usually a refugium in a sump below to supply one with enough and even then they may not have enough pods to eat. You can buy ORA ones that are about $50 where I live and they are supposed to eat pellets. The one I bought did not, it took a month of eating every pod in my tank before it would come around and eat frozen food. A few years later now and he does actually eat everything I put in the tank but especially likes new life spectrum small pellets. I think I got lucky, not sure I would try it again though, I stressed for that whole first month that I was gonna starve him to death. lol

Ok thanks. Maybe after I have a good amount of money to buy a big tank with a sump refugium I'll think about getting a mandarin. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom