4 Green Reef Chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

So on Saturday I added 5 very small (1/2" - 1") green reef chromis. I drip aclimated them for 2 hours then added them to my 60g tank. Lights were off for the acclimation and for the first hour the fish were in the tank. I turned on the actinics for 1 hour and then the daylights for an hour. The lights were only on for 3 hours on saturday to give the new fish some time to get used to the new surroundings.

This morning, one was dead. This is the first time I had ever lost a fish during acclimation. So now I have 4,

Water params this monring at 8am were:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ph 8.0

Ph rose to 8.4 by mid day once the lights turned on.

There are other 2 fish in the tank ,1 percula and 1 blue yellowtail damsel.

My question is, should I add another Chromis to make the number odd again, or will they be ok with 4. Today, 3 of them already started to display behaviors that looked like they were sorting out their hierachy, while the 4th hid a little bit more, but they all shoaled at various times. All are also eating quite well.

Thanks

John

To be honest, I had three and they all ended up jumping, one at a time. Your one death could have been any number of things, but from a 2 hour acclimation, if the other's made it, it may have already been weak or stressed. I would invest in some egg crate to cover the top of your tank to avoid carpet surfing.

If I was you, I'd probably just stick with four. As Roka commented, chromis can be jumpers and you might end up with three eventually anyway. I know my three would've become two if I hadn't of been standing right at my tank when one of them decided to sample air.

Kurt_Nelson said:
If I was you, I'd probably just stick with four. As Roka commented, chromis can be jumpers and you might end up with three eventually anyway. I know my three would've become two if I hadn't of been standing right at my tank when one of them decided to sample air.

Ha, I woke up this morning and think that I have 3 now. My "shy: fourth one was missing this morning and the three that were shoaling well were already out and about looking for food. I dropped a littel flake into the tank and the 3 eat well, but the 4th was no where to be found. I looked all over the place in the tank with a flashlight and could not find the missing fish.

I didn't think about jumping - I hope I don't come home to a surprise.

I am going to leave it as it is, which for now I think is 3 green reef chromis.

Thanks
John

Back
Top Bottom