40 Breeder or 55 Gallon for starter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 55 gallon aquarium that is sitting empty. However it is older and I am not sure that I trust how well it is sealed and I have never resealed a tank myself.

My other option is purchasing a 40 gallon breeder.

This will be my first saltwater tank ever...

Looking at the options of fish and corals on liveaquaria.com I like the smaller fish like the Blue/Green Reef Chromis, Spotted Cardinal Fish, and my must have is a pair of Clown fish.

I plan to start out with live rock and live sand, make it a fish only and then move up to soft corals as I get a firm understanding.

I dont want to go too big (even though I know it is easier to keep the water parameters stable).

I want to try to get away from a ton of equipment on the tank and try to keep it as natural as possible. Is that easier to maintain in a smaller or bigger system?

I am sure this thread will turn into many more questions but my first decision needs to be tank size...

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just set up a 40 breeder and definitely like it's dimensions better. I've used 40 breeders over 55's on my planted tanks as well. It gives you so much more depth to work with. Just my opinion!

well to me the 55 would be a go for sure.. but if you think it has the possibility to leak then def don't use it go with the 40. both good tanks to start with

40b all day!! IMO they have one of the best footprints for reef tanks, and will be so much easier to work in and light. 55s make odd looking reefs IMHO to talk and not enough depth. Here's my pride and joy 40b
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393640099.413879.jpg

WOW! Thanks for the input and picture. That looks amazing and is exactly what I am looking to do. What kind of a setup do you have as far as filtration?

I'm running a 29 gal sump at ~20 ish gals , reef octopus skimmer, filter sock, and a media rack with CPE. A sump isn't necessary though you can get away with hob stuff if you prefer

40B. Better depth for aquascaping and more surface area for gas exchange. Some argue that a 40b can be stocked as heavily as a 55 because of the better gas exchange. If youruip in the air, get a 65 or 70.

Back
Top Bottom