40 gal combo-Good Deal?, Got to decide by tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there,
I was wondereing if a 40 gal. with a 20 gal. refugium, PC lights-not sure what type, wooden canopy & stand, and a Prizm filter, was a good deal at $200. All opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Wolf

No, I'd say $140 or so at best. Can get it cheaper on auction sites, classifieds, etc, but not in stores.

Also, I've not tried it myself, but I've heard Prizms are pretty useless.

I would say $150 would be about right. You will want to replace the prizm since they generally work poorly and will flood your floor sooner than later.

I found it in a add and it was 250, but then he said 200. I'm pretty serious about buying right now, but am I making a mistake?

Check eBay, you can get a set up for about a dollar a gallon, one and a half a gallon for SW. If there's nothing right now, and you want to buy *right now*, then I guess $50 is a reasonable urgency fee.

But check eBay first unless there's something else that gives them special treatment - he's selling it to get money for his dying wife, you want to support someone else on the site, he's a friend, etc.

40 is a tad on the small side anyways... I don't think the price is bad but you will want a bigger tank shortly after purchase. My 55 is way to small IMO... I am hoping to do atleast a 150 for my next tank.

Back
Top Bottom