40 Gallon Breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know the feeling. I got my order from BulkReefSupply yesterday. Got 20lbs of Fiji Pink Sands and 20lbs of Reef Saver Rock. Let me know when your skimmer comes in.

I got the skimmer and put it together. I've got to make some adjustment and then I'll post a pic of where it'll go. I'm setting the tank up with just different equipment placments so I can get a configuration I'll be happy with. Stay tuned...
:popcorn:

Not to late, but this tank is in my office and I don't want to do a sump/refugium. I ordered the skimmer online and now I know what it was discounted so heavily, it's got some minor chipped edges but otherwise it's fine. If I lived closer I'd invite you over to help, but as I recall you're on the east coast?

1st set up

Here's a pic of the first set-up I may use. Tank, In-Tank Skimmer, one dual fan circualtion fan, and a thermometer. I may do an HOB filter but have not decided, I still need to paint the back, which I may do this weekend.

Tips and advice appreciated! (y)

Attachments

• 40b 1.jpg
    40b 1.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 120
I painted the tank today and got all the equipment put in place. I think this is the set up I'm gonna go with of course I need to get another light but I know what I'm gonna get already, so it's just a waiting game at this point.

Attachments

• image-1509269144.jpg
    image-1509269144.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 148
The black background will really make all the colors pop real nice. I'm using the Fiji pink sand and you'll notice after awhile the larger pieces of pebbles working their way to the top which makes the sand appear dirty.

Thanks! I'm going a bit slower, this is my second tank. I've got to move my 10g it's where my 40 is going to be. I'll be keeping both going, and keeping them right next to each other. I'm gonna make the move this week so I'll be doing a quick rearrange. That will be a fun and nerve racking

I'm planning on going with a Tao 120 dimmable. They're about $165 and I've got one already, I love it, it's got plenty of power, and 54Seaweed has one over his 40b, says it's perfect at about 15"s above the surface. It's a great light, X recommended and I'm glad I listened. He's given me some other advice that I haven't taken, I'm sure I'll regret it in the future, but sometimes you gotta learn on your own...

I like the FIji Pink, it's what I've got in my 10g, I'll be going with that, besides it's what the LFS has and I like it too, it's just sand after all.

Thanks! I'm going a bit slower, this is my second tank. I've got to move my 10g it's where my 40 is going to be. I'll be keeping both going, and keeping them right next to each other. I'm gonna make the move this week so I'll be doing a quick rearrange. That will be a fun and nerve racking.

I'm planning on going with a Tao 120 dimmable. They're about $165 and I've got one already, I love it, it's got plenty of power, and 54Seaweed has one over his 40b, says it's perfect at about 15"s above the surface. It's a great light, X recommended and I'm glad I listened. He's given me some other advice that I haven't taken, I'm sure I'll regret it in the future, but sometimes you gotta learn on your own...

I like the FIji Pink, it's what I've got in my 10g, I'll be going with that, besides it's what the LFS has and I like it too, it's just sand after all.
Slow is the way to go, no sense in getting overwhelmed.

Those 2 give great advice. I've heard nothing but good stuff about those taotronics 120's, thats what I'll be upgrading to when the time comes.

It's what my lfs had also, I just hate that it looks dirty is all. Hopefully you'll post up lots of pics so we can follow your progress.

Glad to see everything coming together nicely for you. I was thinking about getting one of those Tao dimmables as well. I have a Coralife 4 Bulb T5 that I'm going to hang over it until I make up my mind. I'm getting in on the BRS group buy next week so I can pick up a couple more items. Looking to score some savings on a return pump and skimmer.

I painted the tank today and got all the equipment put in place. I think this is the set up I'm gonna go with of course I need to get another light but I know what I'm gonna get already, so it's just a waiting game at this point.

looking good your about 3 steps behind me
can't wait to see what you decide for a scape
I had all that pebble and shell debris in my sand too looked horrible so
I got me a new cat litter scoop and sifted it all out (y)

Hey, thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it! I'm gonna be rearranging things on Friday and getting things moved into place. I'm not sure how I'm gonna proceed at this point... I got the go ahead from the wife about moving forward with the 40b but I still need to get another Tao before I do, and I don't think she realizes that. Hmm what to do... :whistle:
Options:

1. Set up the 40b and then when cycled move the contents of the 10g over. I'm just not sure. I don't have to buy another Tao after all it's only a 10g, I'm thinking I may turn it into a Nem Tank.

2. Wait and get another Tao then keep both tanks up and running, I like this option cause my 10g is coming up on 2 months and progressing nicely. Only one casualty so far, I've lost a Hermit Crab.

3. Keep the 10g as a FOWLR and put the old LED Hood back on it.

Opinions, thoughts, and advice requested.:popcorn:

IMO, I would transfer the contents over to the 40B and keep the 10G as the quarantine tank. Trust me when I say a quarantine tank is "HIGHLY" recommended. When I had my 20L I had two clowns that were healthy as can be when I bought them and on week three they developed ick.

I would consolidate the tanks so your efforts are focused in one unless you don't mind having two with a q-tank in addition.

Last edited:
IMO, I would transfer the contents over to the 40B and keep the 10G as the quarantine tank. Trust me when I say a quarantine tank is "HIGHLY" recommended. When I had my 20L I had two clowns that were healthy as can be when I bought them and on week three they developed ick.

I would consolidate the tanks so your efforts are focused in one unless you don't mind having two with a q-tank in addition.

That's a good idea! I'd actually thought of that a while ago, then once my 40b is stocked then I could turn the 10 into a nem tank. Any ideas for a lighting option on the 10g as a quarantine tank. How do yo maintain a quarantine tank?

Qt tank doesn't need anything fancy. A standard Power compact fixture will work. Qt tank is easy to maintain. All you need is a tank, light, heater, thermometer, pvc (for fish to hide), and hob filter. You can actually tear the tank down and store it when you don't have any new stock coming in. Just make sure to throw the hob back on the display tank to reseed the sponge with BB when you put the qt back up. Also, no live rock or sand in the qt as this provides a place for ick and other diseases to adhere to.

Qt tank doesn't need anything fancy. A standard Power compact fixture will work. Qt tank is easy to maintain. All you need is a tank, light, heater, thermometer, pvc (for fish to hide), and hob filter. You can actually tear the tank down and store it when you don't have any new stock coming in. Just make sure to throw the hob back on the display tank to reseed the sponge with BB when you put the qt back up. Also, no live rock or sand in the qt as this provides a place for ick and other diseases to adhere to.

So a QT tank is a glass box with nothing but water and the basics, got it. And how long do you QT for?

I wanted to get your opinion about the new 40b. I'm going to be doing all the set up tomorrow and moving all but my maroon into the new tank. I'm using premix SW from lfs, I've been using all along, plus some of the water, filter pads, and most of the LR. Technically the 40 shouldn't have a big cycle, because I'm not adding to the bioload, but I was wondering how long do you think I should wait before I add the Beauty into the new tank? It was recommended that I add most of my other fish to the tank before I add my maroon. He's not very big maybe 2"s and the Beauty, as I recall is larger. LFS is holding the fish for me, but I'd like to get your thoughts. Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not 100% sure so I hope another more seasoned veteran can chime in. You make have a mini cycle since you are moving the contents of the 10G to the 40B. Be careful with the sand too. Make sure you rinse it out good before you move it to the new tank. Testing should tell you when the 40B is ready for livestock. It shouldn't take too long. You got good gouge on the maroon. I've always been told that the most aggressive fish in your stocking should go in last.

Back
Top Bottom