40 gallon reef stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40 gallon long tank which is 48"x16"x12" and I am getting a hydor slim skim protein skimmer, 40lb live rock, 40lb live sand, lighting is Arcadia F030 T8 but I am getting some blue LEDs.

I want 2x Ocellaris clownfish
1x Bicolor dotty back
1x cleaner shrimp
5x snails
5x hermit crab
1x starfish

What starfish could I get that is reef safe? Also what other fish could I get? Is my tank big enough to have a Yellow tang?

I have a 40 gallon long tank which is 48"x16"x12" and I am getting a hydor slim skim protein skimmer, 40lb live rock, 40lb live sand, lighting is Arcadia F030 T8 but I am getting some blue LEDs. I want 2x Ocellaris clownfish 1x Bicolor dotty back 1x cleaner shrimp 5x snails 5x hermit crab 1x starfish What starfish could I get that is reef safe? Also what other fish could I get? Is my tank big enough to have a Yellow tang?

I would stay away from any tangs in a tank so small .
Even a kole tang is recommended to be in a minimum 70 gal
Check out liveaquaria.com for minimum tank size and compatibility .

Are you planning in a deep sand bed ?
40 lbs of sand is a lot .
I have 20 in my 75 gal and it's 2-3 "

How much sand would you recommend? I'm only going with what I've read on the internet! :)

How much sand would you recommend? I'm only going with what I've read on the internet! :)

A shallow bed of 2-3" is good unless you plan on a deep sand bed .
I've read deep sand beds have higher risks later as gases get trapped and could get released into your tank if disturbed .

Are there any starfish I could have in my tank? Also would they need a deep sand bed or not?

Yeah, you could get an sand sifting star, you need about 2 inches for them though they are also only about 10-12$ so pretty cheap

What other fish could I get with the 2 Ocellaris clownfish and bicolor dotty back?

Back
Top Bottom