40 gallon sw reef tank skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niccobacci11

Aquarium Advice Freak
so I have been shopping around for good skimmers for a 40 gallon tank and have come up with two choices that seemed to have ok reviews my budget for the skimmer is around $125 so if you have any other suggestions......so suggest away.
the skimmer will be in a 20 gallon sump not a HOB protein skimmer because I don't want to risk if it will leak or not.
the aquarium is drilled and going to have a good bio load amount about 4-5 fish worth.
hopefully the tank will be a full blown reef tank in a few years so I don´t want something that will crap out in a few years I want something that will last these are what I have so far I am leaning towards the Eshopps skimmer but if someone has had a bad experience then i might get the Odyssea skimmer.

Odyssea PS160 Protein Skimmer with Pump, 100-Gallon

Eshopps PSK 100 In Sump Protein Skimmer, 75-100 Gal. Tank

any suggestions would be helpful

I'm running two eshopps in sump skimmers and really like them. i would go with that one over the odyssea.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the reply
is it easy to break in or is it one of the more tricky skimmers?
Also, how many inches of water do you keep yours in?
If there is anything else about this skimmer that would be helpful to know like a design flaw or a plus over the completion (pros and cons) please let me know.

Both of mine took about a week anc a few days to break in. It's not as tricky to get it working well in my opinion. lol I believe they are in about 8-9 inches of water. I find the eshopps to get more skim than a reef octopus skimmer I have as well as it is easier to dial in. For the price i dont think you could do much better. :)

Back
Top Bottom