40 Gallon Tank....Any Set-Up Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah,the macros have started growing and i added one male and female mollies.The female is kinda getting more fat.And I don't know what to feed the babies before they come out.

amphibianboy528 said:
And I don't know what to feed the babies before they come out.
Feed the mollies the same as you would the fish in the main tank, as I said though heavy on vegetable matter.

When you think the female is close to birthing, she should be seperated from the male. This will reduce her stress and allow more of the fry to survive. A simple tank divider with plenty of small holes will do, usually a thin acrylic sheet cut to size will do. Be sure she is on the "water in" side and not with the return pump area of the fuge. The small fry will not yet be strong enough to avoid getting sucked up.

Mollies are live bearers so most will be fully active almost immediately. It is quite normal for some unhatched eggs and stillborn fry to occur so don't be alarmed. Once the female has released all the fry, return her to the male side of the tank.

AFAIK, they can be fed simple crushed/powdered flake food. They are typically large enough to cope with that size of food. After about 10-14 days they should have doubled in size and the divider can be removed. I wouldn't bother with this process every time the female is pregnant though, only when you need to replenish the stock.

Might try asking the FW folks to see if they have a better suggestion.

Cheers
Steve

well,
i got the lion fish,he is a great fish.But i think he is kinda lonely in that tank.And in don't know what tankmates go good with them.I don't want a frogfish or anglers because there have been cases that frog and angler fish eating lionfishes twice their size.Any suggetsions???

Back
Top Bottom