40 Gallon Tank....Any Set-Up Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amphibianboy528

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has any one had experience in keeping a pipe fish.Like tank size and what to feed.I read in my fish magazine that a 20 gallon would be good for female/male pair.And feed them baby brine shrimp.And do better in species tanks.Please help me! :D

They are quite a challenging fish to keep and although you may have read a 20 gal is enough, I would suggest a much larger tank. Pipefish get quite large and although they do not swim around much it will still get quite cramped. They do indeed do better in a species only tank or at the very least extremely docile tankmates.

If you have had good experience keeping seahorses, you might have some decent success keeping these fish. If not, I would suggest you pass. They require alot of daily care, live feedings and high water quality.

Cheers
Steve

i agree with steve, and even a 30 gallon would be too small. and its not about making someone feel better, if you are a responsible hobbyist it SHOULD be about creating the appropriate environment for these creatures, not on in which they will merely survive.

i suggest you do some more research, and not go on only what you read in a fish magazine. i would start with an internet search on the species you are interested in.

Don't worry about my feelings, worry about their health. :wink:
To answer your question though it would be a little better. Just keep in mind the average adult length is 8".

Cheers
Steve

It's not so much total volume that needs to be considered, moreso overall swimming area (length primarily). If you can find a 40 gal long (48") that would do quite well. It would have sufficient room for two fish of that nature to be housed together and still offer enough volume to handle the bioload of live foods and not overly tax you on maintenace.

Just keep in mind that the tank needs to be set up similar in style to a seahorse tank. Low flow is important while still offering enough to allow for proper gas exchange (an open sump being more ideal). Also be sure there are no "open" intakes on any water movement apparatus. They are week swimmers and can get pulled in easily. A refugium to help supply a continuous food source inbetween feedings would also be a plus.

Cheers
Steve

so I got a 40 gallon tank with a refugiemat my LFS for 200 dollars.I thought it was in expensive so I bought it.I also bought 25 lbs of cured live rock for 60 dollars and some bio-spira.Also some mature pre-mixed SW and some amphipods and coepods.Oh,and 50 lbs of live sand and has been running for 1 hour now and I checked if it was 48" lond and it was.How many days should I wait till I get the pipefish.

You've got give your tank time to cycle. You just can't throw fish in without a cycling your tank. And the Bio-Spira doesn't really work very well. Your live rock should cycle it in about two months to be safe.

Well the guy at the LFS said the water was already mature and is filtered from their 2,000 gallon aquarium.And I ahve two mollies to mature the filtration bed.

amphibianboy528 said:
so I got a 40 gallon tank with a refugiemat my LFS for 200 dollars.I thought it was in expensive so I bought it.I also bought 25 lbs of cured live rock for 60 dollars and some bio-spira.Also some mature pre-mixed SW and some amphipods and coepods.Oh,and 50 lbs of live sand and has been running for 1 hour now and I checked if it was 48" lond and it was.How many days should I wait till I get the pipefish.

My bad. I'm sorry I must have overlooked that. Good Luck!!!

Sorry to hear about the pipefish but that doesn't mean you can't be prepared for when they would be avaialble again.

amphibianboy528 said:
Well the guy at the LFS said the water was already mature and is filtered from their 2,000 gallon aquarium.And I ahve two mollies to mature the filtration bed.
Your LFS may have the water he says but it will by no means help in cycling/maturing a tank. The proper bacteria required for the nitrogen cycle will not be transfered via water. Only hard surface materials from an established system will do that and even then still require time to populate and mature the system. Even if adding fish (which I would never recommend) will not speed up the process. The best most humane way is via LR and /or adding a dead ammonia source to grow the bacteria required.

[rant]Basically there are no shortcuts that will lead to a healthy and sustainable system. Time and proper planning are the main roads to success. Shortcuts lead to a false sense of accomplishment and often failure.[/rant]

Cheers
Steve

amphibianboy528 said:
but i saw on a website that mollies are a hardier species and can be used to cycle a new marine tank.
Unfortunately not everything your going to read will always be in the best interest of the animals. Anything you add to a tank that creates ammonia will begin the cycle, that goes for anything that rots as well. :wink:

The main difference being one is humane and the other is not. Fish no matter how hardy must endure ammonia (in some cases quite high) which is quite toxic, nitrite which is usually high no matter what and which can effectively suffocate the fish. Nitrite actually inhibits the hemaglobin in the fishs blood from absorbing O2 and carrying it through the blood stream.

Without going into a long rant, think of cycling intentionally with fish in the same manner as a human subjected to a room being filling up with car exhaust and no where to go. A toxic environment with no way out. :(

I am not suggesting you did so intentionally or knowingly though, just pointing out there is a better way :wink:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom