40b not drilled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluzepher1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want it set up a sump/refuguim. I do not want to drill my tank. Do I need an overflow box to make this work. Please help

Thanks

I want it set up a sump/refuguim. I do not want to drill my tank. Do I need an overflow box to make this work. Please help

Thanks

It's not nearly as difficult to drill a tank as people think. Especially on one with thin glass like a 40B. HOB overflows scare me lol. I'll never use another one. I had one lose siphon and the sump was the same size as the DT so it just overflowed the tank onto my floor until it had pumped at 40 or so gallons out of my sump onto my carpet. use glass-holes.com if you decide to try it. They sell the complete kit with the bit to drill it. The bottom glass is the only tempered glass on 90% of aquariums.

It's not nearly as difficult to drill a tank as people think. Especially on one with thin glass like a 40B. HOB overflows scare me lol. I'll never use another one. I had one lose siphon and the sump was the same size as the DT so it just overflowed the tank onto my floor until it had pumped at 40 or so gallons out of my sump onto my carpet. use glass-holes.com if you decide to try it. They sell the complete kit with the bit to drill it. The bottom glass is the only tempered glass on 90% of aquariums.

I have the overflow box to go inside the tank, can I use it?

I have the overflow box to go inside the tank, can I use it?

the box will be inside the tank either way. If its a HOB then most that ive used don't auto start the siphon. My power went out while i was at work and when it came back on the overflow didn't self prime to allow the DT to drain into the sump therefore overflowing my tank. Since then i have drilled both tanks and use the standard overflows. Plus its a cleaner look to me. Check out the ghost overflows too they are really sweet but kinda pricey

the box will be inside the tank either way. If its a HOB then most that ive used don't auto start the siphon. My power went out while i was at work and when it came back on the overflow didn't self prime to allow the DT to drain into the sump therefore overflowing my tank. Since then i have drilled both tanks and use the standard overflows. Plus its a cleaner look to me. Check out the ghost overflows too they are really sweet but kinda pricey

I already have water in my tank
Cycle almost complete

Eshopp overflow box siphon won't break and match the proper pump. Design of the sump is the most important issue unless you already have one.

Eshopp overflow box siphon won't break and match the proper pump. Design of the sump is the most important issue unless you already have one.

So, since I have a regular overflow box not good since tank is not drilled. Should I buy a hob overflow?
So confused . Sorry

In your fuge? I would go bare bottom, some rocks and macro algae easier to clean. what's your sump size?

Skip the mud. Recommend just rock in the sump and macro algae if you have a fuge.

Skip the mud. Recommend just rock in the sump and macro algae if you have a fuge.

yes have a fuge, already put about an inch of live sand in the fuge before reading this. will add live rock tomorrow after I pick some more up

Back
Top Bottom