40B Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahahaha, I felt the same way too but after watching people do it on youtube I mustered up the courage to do it. The only thing that sucks is that I live in an apartment, so I barely have any room. You can see the pics of my awesome work station. The girlfriend surprisingly didn't freak out.

Can I ask how that works in regards to the three bulkheads, and the nozzle on the right. Thank you.

It's a Bean Animal Overflow. Middle is a full siphon, left is an open channel that handles extra flow and the right upturned elbow is the emergency overflow. Google it and to you will find numerous YouTube videos and forum posts about it.

IMO you can't go wrong with any of the skimmers on your list except the Vertex because I've never looked into them. This simple decision might take you a few days ;) Pick one skimmer and research all reviews and videos for 3 days. If you can stick with one skimmer throughout the 3 days, then buy it. The longer you wait to research, the more satisfied you'll feel about your purchases.

Finally narrowed down my choice on a skimmer. It was between the SWC Xtreme 120 Cone Skimmer and the SWC Xtreme 150 BMK. The 120 has a smaller pump and a new cone design. The 150 is not a cone but has a bigger pump, slightly bigger footprint but will allow me to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank later without having to buy another skimmer.

So the SWC Xtreme 150 BMK is the winner. Now to start planning my sump now that I know how much space I need for my skimmer. :dance:

Need some input on my return pump. 40B with 20L so I was thinking a Mag 5 dialed back with a value. This way I can always tee off to run a reactor or Turf scrubber later on.

Update

It's been a hot minute since I've updated on here, so here goes. I finally got the tank up and running and cycled. Still haven't finished the stand but who cares, its just missing the doors. Here is a couple pics of the livestock

Randall's Goby!!!
img_2542937_0_15aafce658420a85e42be5d8a617a992.jpg

Black and White Ocellaris Clown
img_2542937_1_e9c433fb485873af0b592fc7b8d18d7a.jpg

Ocellaris Clown
img_2542937_2_b15adb833e3a11859cd385a95fe67da0.jpg

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
img_2542937_3_6b174e8118eae7197751d8b8bcb7ded3.jpg

Hermit
img_2542937_4_2ab17a6d0458f6f38dfa3c87e143915d.jpg

Congrats on your build & very nicely done! (y) Get a pic of the whole tank so we can see it. Also, the bean overflow..... your thought and is it very silent as they say?

FTS with moonlights. I'll post another with the T5s on when I get home later.
img_2543570_0_4200a3d5dbade18388dca3a67a813688.jpg

The Bean Animal is super silent once dialed in. With the Eheim Compact 2000 I'm running on this, I doubt it can ever overflow with all the redundancy this overflow provides.

Thanks!!! It's been a journey this far but I'm making progress. I need to change the name this thread to FOWLR since I haven't put a single coral in there yet.

Aaaarrrggghhhh!!!!! Just finished ripping up the whole tank searching for the firefish who immediately went into hiding when introduced into the tank. Haven't seen him since Saturday when I first put him in. Not even during feeding time. If he croaked, the cuc must have done a number on him because I saw no trace of him in there.

It's frustrating when fish just disappear without a trace, kinda eerie...lol

I've had it happen on several occassions and it always bothers me. My sea hare Bob, who was quite big just disappeared one day never to be seen again. Tested my water daily after that and no spikes or anything. I would test your water though over the next week or so just to be sure.

F#$K!!!!!!!! Finally got visted by the RO/DI Monster!!!!!! Fell asleep last night and forgot to shut down my RODI unit. Woke up wth a nice bit of water all over the kitchen floor.....and I live on the second deck!!!!! Good thing the floor is linoliem and has caulking all around the edges so it minimized where the water seeped out.

Yeah Carey...especially after spending all that time moving around and looking through every piece of rock in there. I'll test everyday for the rest of the week and have some water mixed up in case I get a spike and need to do a water change.

Well, just thought I'd drop an update. The first firefish I bought was written off as expired since I was never able to find his body. So I have since bought another one that took about four days before he decided to come out to get some food during feeding time. Tank is coming along well so far. Just received a Jebao WP25 that I think is way too powerful for my tank right now. Looking to do some DIU Leds so I can put some corals in this bad boy.

Back
Top Bottom